Double yolk duck eggs in incubator

erin272

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm just wondering if someone can answer this question?

I set some of my duck eggs in our incubator a week ago. We have mixed ducks and also some purebred Pekins. When I candled the eggs last night the 2 largest eggs (which I assumed were the Pekins) are actually double yolkers. I've read and understand that double yolkers are not a great idea and will probably have a sad ending - which I don't want to do. But when I candled them and can see both yolks - one of the yolks shows fertilization but the other yolk in the same egg does not. So my question is....if only one yolk in the double yolk egg is fertile....will that duckling have a chance and hatch okay?

Thanks in advance :)

BTW: I know this forum is about chickens - which I also have but I figured a lot to do with chickens is similar to ducks :)

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if someone can answer this question?

I set some of my duck eggs in our incubator a week ago. We have mixed ducks and also some purebred Pekins. When I candled the eggs last night the 2 largest eggs (which I assumed were the Pekins) are actually double yolkers. I've read and understand that double yolkers are not a great idea and will probably have a sad ending - which I don't want to do. But when I candled them and can see both yolks - one of the yolks shows fertilization but the other yolk in the same egg does not. So my question is....if only one yolk in the double yolk egg is fertile....will that duckling have a chance and hatch okay?

Thanks in advance :)

i would get it out

it wont hatch even if it develops

the other yolk will cause it to drown in shell

its a hard decision to make but must be done

sorry

Thanks :) I didn't think of that. I got myself all excited at the possibility that it may survive if only one grew :(

One of the eggs showed no fertilization at all. But one had one yolk that showed fertilization, I took it out early 8th day as I was scared that it would drown in shell as the yolks were so large.

I feel the same, but I hate to see anything suffer too. I got scared and took the egg out by day 8. The yolks inside looked huge compared to my other duck eggs so I was really scared of the poor thing drowning in the other yolk when it got bigger or the other yolk going bad and contaminating the egg. The rest of my hatch went well though, I had to help 5 of the 8 out but they all survived.

Back
Top Bottom