Double yolk eggs? Specific breed of hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DDRanch, Oct 30, 2009.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    A friend recently asked me if double yolked eggs came from a specific breed of chicken. Ummm......I really don't know. Are some breeds more likely to lay double yolks?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's just a glitch in the reproductive tract, much like how humans can have fraternal twins. There's not really one breed or another that is more prone to it, however, can be a genetic trait.

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    rhode island reds?

4. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    We have a white leghorn that routinely lays them

5. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    It is my older 2-3 year old hens that give me the extra large double yolk eggs.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    My Rhode Island Red does a couple times a week. she'll skip a day of laying then lay a double

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Thanks everyone...gotta love this forum.

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I've been getting double-yolkers from my Barred Rock and my RSL (Both just started laying.) Yummy!!

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I think it has more to do with the individual line. A related group of chickens could be more or less likely to lay them so if you order several of the same breed from the same place or person you could get a bunch of that breed that lays double yolkers. You could also have several people order the same breed from the same hatchery and end up with more double yolkers so it appears that breed lays more. If you order the same breed from another place or person though you might never see one. I don't think any particular breed as a whole is more likely and even if they are we really don't have enough information to prove it. Too many variables and not enough people who could keep detailed enough info on their chickens.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  10. Peeplperson

Peeplperson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Napa
    My only Leghorn is the only one (of 7 pullets) who regularly - once a week or so - lays a double yolker.

All the girls lay by noon except on double-yolk days, when she doesn't lay until 2 or 3 pm. Guess she's working up the strength - those are big eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by