Double Yolker With Double Babies

Honeycluckle

Chirping
Jan 28, 2019
Hello!

I am hoping to get some advice on a surprise I found in my incubator today. I have a small batch of eggs from my mixed flock in my bator (five of them), as a first run at seeing how lucky our recently of age silver polish rooster has been with the girls.

Today, while candling them, we found out he is as lucky as he is ridiculous looking: four out of five are showing development!

Problem is that the one from my leghorn hen has more development then I bargained for.

0D55BD85-9438-4997-8146-0172C3D3AA9D.jpeg

My question is, is there anything I need to do differently for this egg to improve its chances at success? I know double babies like this don’t have much luck, but since it has gotten this far, I figure I owe it a fighting chance for incubating it in the first place.

Thank you!

I have followed every twin thread I have seen. I saw some that did succeed in chickens and ducks; but most needed assistance, and the majority lost one or both babies. There are naysayers who criticize those who attempt twin hatches, but I say go for it, and good luck! :fl

Thank you Dobie! I am going through the thread now, it’s pretty informative so far. :)

I have followed every twin thread I have seen. I saw some that did succeed in chickens and ducks; but most needed assistance, and the majority lost one or both babies. There are naysayers who criticize those who attempt twin hatches, but I say go for it, and good luck! :fl

Thank you. I feel like it’s too late to turn back now anyway, I would feel bad if I tossed them now! So I am just going to do my best and hopefully get some help along the way.

Way I look at it, what do you have to lose? An egg, a single spot in the incubator? However, hatching twins... That's a really cool story. :) I wonder if they would be identical twins, or fraternal twins.

That’s a good way to put it. :) I am really curious about that too, I wonder how it works with chickens! I hope they make it to hatch day so that we can get an answer. Fingers crossed!

Candled then along with my other bator babies, and here is their progress:

F9727128-617A-455A-940B-91AD8CFC2EFC.jpeg

Looks like they are both still developing at similar rates so far!

Back
Top Bottom