DOUBLE yolker - yolk Hatched! Video p. 16 ** 13 Week PICS ** p. 51

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by needmorechickens!, Nov 10, 2008.

1. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Songster

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Hello, I just went through this thread. How amazing and what a blessing! Just wanted to check and see if an update was available! How did they fill out? Did you end up with 2 little ladies too? Are they laying? Congrats on 3 beautiful babies!!!!

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Songster

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Amazing! How did they do afterward? Did they grow up alright?

3. hipeatall

hipeatall Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Wow! I didn't realize this was even possible! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and videos and info... can't wait to show my little boy.

4. NanaKat

NanaKat Crossing the Road

Found this and read the entire thread last night.
    Rebecca....wonderful video of an assist with hatch....and congratulations on all three births. I also loved the follow-up pictures you have posted.

Now for a question....someone mentioned about midway through the thread about the reproductive possibilities for twins.
    In calves we call them free martins when the cow delivers both a bull and a heifer calf. The percentage of fertility is almost nill for both offspring because of the hormone transfer in the womb.

For the chicks, this may be a better per centage if each yolk supported only one chick in it's own membrane.
    Was it your experience that each chick was surrounded by it's own membrane so that hormones did not transfer back and forth?
    And since the chicks are now grown, have your two hens Greta and Reba laid fertile eggs and how about Hank...has he been fertile or sterile?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Songster

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I am so sorry that I cannot answer the questions about fertility. All three grew up totally normal, but I sold them before laying age. They were special to me, but I only have so much space, so I had to sell them. I kinda regret it now, because I would like to be able to answer some of these questions.
    Maybe I'll get another double yolker soon! If I have twins that survive again, you can bet I will keep them longer.
    ~Rebecca

6. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Holy Moley, with steady hands like that, you should have been a surgeon!
    and #2 = great videos.

7. ptig78d

ptig78d Songster

Apr 28, 2008
    Bucksport, ME
    Rebecca,
    I just wanted to repeat what others have said..."that video was amazing!" I came across this thread through a search for a video of a chick hatching...so glad yours came up! While I was watching, my two boys came up and watched the last part of it, when the chicks were peeping the loudest!
    I see from the later posts that you had to get rid of them due to space constraints. [​IMG] OH well....c'est la vie!

I'm going to try hatching some BO eggs that I bought from greenfamilyfarms through a BYC auction. I'm so excited....and nervous at the same time as this will be my first attempt at hatching!

All the best to you!

8. scarlsens

scarlsens In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    Arbuckle
    All I can say is WOW-that was so wonderful! Do post if you have twins again. I'm amazed at how you could remember to take a video and post updates with all that was going on [​IMG]:jumpy

9. strobel farms

strobel farms Hatching

Feb 5, 2011
    hmmmmm good question...no answer [​IMG] but can you let me know if you find out?? [​IMG]

10. petunias212

petunias212 Songster

Jan 12, 2011
    That was really awesome and had me on pins and needles!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: