Double Yolkers..what do you think

gofasterstripe

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Waterloo, South Carolina
OK..My Jumbo Pekin has been laying HUGE eggs and has only laid 3 average sized eggs in 2 weeks. I thought I would blow out the eggs that I didnt put in the bator, but while blowing them good lord, I was huffing and puffing for ever and the yolk just kept coming. So I got to thinking, opened the bator and candled Slys 2 eggs I put in. Both are double yolkers.
Shall I just take them out and blow them or leave them in and check in 4 days to see if they are fertile...that was a silly comment as I know they will be because hes always on her back. I know double yolkers dont come to much..what do Y'all recon I should do.
Me..im saying take them out, Dh said keep them in????

Although it had a sad outcome... I dont regret setting the egg I did last year. Both ducklings survived to day 27- but the front one was in the wrong possition. The duckling behind was tapping on the eggshell in a better possition.

As long as you know the risk- its up to you. Its really no different from setting any egg. Every egg you set in the bator will either hatch or it wont...a 50 / 50 split of outcomes... same with a double yolker - it will hatch or it wont.. . Just that there is two ducklings in the same shell.

I SHOULD of candled before putting them in...never occured to me to do it or that even they would be double yolkers. Shes only laid 3 normal sized eggs so we thought the big ones were her NORMAL eggs. These things are huge...todays 1 was 3 3/4 inches long. I know I call her Fat Butt...she doesnt have to prove it tho!!!

Don't incubate them. It is heartbreaking to watch it go down the wrong way. Your chances of a normal and life hatch are not good at all. For blowing them out. Get a small electric car tire pump. Drill two holes and use the small attachment for the pump to blow out.

Back
Top Bottom