Double Yolkers..what do you think

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gofasterstripe, Feb 23, 2011.

1. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

OK..My Jumbo Pekin has been laying HUGE eggs and has only laid 3 average sized eggs in 2 weeks. I thought I would blow out the eggs that I didnt put in the bator, but while blowing them good lord, I was huffing and puffing for ever and the yolk just kept coming. So I got to thinking, opened the bator and candled Slys 2 eggs I put in. Both are double yolkers.
    Shall I just take them out and blow them or leave them in and check in 4 days to see if they are fertile...that was a silly comment as I know they will be because hes always on her back. I know double yolkers dont come to much..what do Y'all recon I should do.
    Me..im saying take them out, Dh said keep them in????

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Although it had a sad outcome... I dont regret setting the egg I did last year. Both ducklings survived to day 27- but the front one was in the wrong possition. The duckling behind was tapping on the eggshell in a better possition.

As long as you know the risk- its up to you. Its really no different from setting any egg. Every egg you set in the bator will either hatch or it wont...a 50 / 50 split of outcomes... same with a double yolker - it will hatch or it wont.. . Just that there is two ducklings in the same shell.

3. gofasterstripe

I SHOULD of candled before putting them in...never occured to me to do it or that even they would be double yolkers. Shes only laid 3 normal sized eggs so we thought the big ones were her NORMAL eggs. These things are huge...todays 1 was 3 3/4 inches long. I know I call her Fat Butt...she doesnt have to prove it tho!!!

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Don't incubate them. It is heartbreaking to watch it go down the wrong way. Your chances of a normal and life hatch are not good at all. For blowing them out. Get a small electric car tire pump. Drill two holes and use the small attachment for the pump to blow out.

5. gofasterstripe

I took them out last night, and ill know not to put them huge eggs in the bator in future

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by