Doublewide Dwellers?

The 5 acres I hope to move to sometime before fall has an old single wide on it. It's only good for salvaging some flooring and paneling out of though. I'll probably replace it with another single wide, if I ever get my house sold.

I just found this , it's great!

We bought a 5 acre ranch that had a brand new clayton- grayhawk 32x 60. It is a 3 bdrm, 2 full baths, built in office, larg living rm, dining rm, kitchen, breakfast nook, laundry rm, 2 lg. walk in closets.

100_1118.jpg

We have many plans, right now with me not working they are on hold. We do a little at a time. Latest is DH built a retaining wall and is filling in and grading from the back stairs to the new wall to make it level. Before it sloped so much you really couldn't use the area. After it is graded, he will put in a second wood rack, hammock, firepit, seating, wood-fire earth oven, and a concrete pad for the b-b-q and smoker!!!

This is the only picture I could get to upload on photobucket, I'm still trying to learn that darn site. It says my pics aren't the right type of files?? I don't know how to fix it.

As to trailer trash, we call many people trailer trash. I think only some actually live in trailers. To us trailer trash is NOT where you live but a way of life, beliefs, morals, ethics and attitude!

I love all the trees and greenery around everyones houses, We only have a few for now, slowly working on that.
I wish I could upload a pic of our beautiful valley.

Monica

Last edited:
I live in a double wide in the woods,"downside" I live in fla, glad i dont live down south though with hurricanes, but we dont normally have bad bad storms just minor ones.

DH and I retired to the country, we bought 20 acres 20 years ago with plans on putting in a double wide. Its done. Dreams do come true. Sometimes turn into nightmares.
But the house is not one of them. Its grand. 28 by 70. four bedroom, den, living room, huge glamore bath that is totally worthless, should have been another bedroom, or something..
The only thing I have against it isssss. I feel as if im in a cardboard house. in fact i call it my "cardboard house".. I can hear every cricket that chirps outside. In my brick house I lived in for 40 years, in Nashville, near the airport, on a busy street I could lay in bed and not hear a noise. Here any thing.. is heard loudly. The cat can run across the back porch and im thinking lion. Every car that passes on this state hwy, two lane sounds like its in my room. We are 200 feet from that highway and its not much traveled, but the occasioinal 18 wheeler sounds as if its coming inside.
An airplane, so high up that it is a blur, sounds as if its coming in.
Other than that Im satisfied..oops I forgot .. I made mistake of trying to hang pix on the walls. I learned fast, to glue strips of wood up first and then attach the pix.
One mirror fell three times before i figured this out. Didnt break, but lucky.
IF DH poots in south bedroom, its enjoyed all the way back to the north bedroom,(as far n as I could get).

when the wind blows...ohhhhuuuuuu I get scared. I loved the security of the brick and concrete in my old house.. and feeling like i had something between me and the elements.
We had a tornado in our area lately. 17 houses down and gone. I saw it coming and watched it go down over the next hill. If it had taken our valley, we would be spllinters for compost. Not much left when a wind comes like that. tying them down is dumb, because they never turn over...they splinter into millions of tiny peices that rot fast and enrich the soil. The safest place in this house is the shower stall. and its plastic.
Oh yes, I love this house. I paid 45 t for it. a "real" house would have been 80 to 100 thousand. IF it had real wood and real beams and such. so it was a choice..take the chance , cause it will outlast us. we are getting old.. and to if a tornado comes or a high wind, ive seen cardboard homes standing beside what was left of a brick house. It takes its choice and who ever has their bell rung will be gone, whether in brick or cardboard.
This last tornado?, I drove up the little valley that was hit and saw three (3) storm cellars and neither of them were used that night. There is not time for things like that. One hit here about 8 years ago and the tv had not shown any warnings of even a storm. They come so fast in this area that you have to be ready all the time.
the homes built back in the 1800s were just as safe as my cardboard house and many of them are still standing around here with their roof still standing. so i feel this place will be here long enough.. if not when that bell rings im ready.

Wow Jdypat: That is strange. We can't hear a thing in ours. In fact people that have come to do any work like put in the cable and such say they have never seen a house so well insulated. It's very quiet. Can't even hear the rooster crow when he's right on the back porch. Ours seems as solid as any stick built we have ever had.

Jacie

Quote:

You are right about that. I just reread her post and realized it was 20 years. When I first read it I thought she meant after 20 years they finally put the house on.

Yes they have really really changed. Mostly due to the new codes by which they are built.

A friend of our is the CEO for the association of manufactured home builders and when we started the process of getting ours he explained all the new coding and building requirements. They are quite strict now.

Jacie

IF DH poots in south bedroom, its enjoyed all the way back to the north bedroom,(as far n as I could get).

Heh, heh, if it's any consolation, this happens in our "stick built" house too!
lau.gif

We live in a doublewide home, just had it put up last year. I couldn't tell you the measurements, LOL, but it's 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room, with an open floor plan. I absolutely love it.

We are very well insulated, and everything is energy star rated on the appliances, etc.

I got to pick out everything. Floor & carpet color, counters, wall coverings, I call it my custom.
smile.png

Em

I have lived in doublewides, singlewides, brick homes, cottages and apt.....

We own a stickbuilt house that looks just like a doublewide or a modular! With one difference--the layout and storage is/was HORRIBLE. I have found that 'mobile homes' have much less wasted space than all the stick builts I have lived in.

My neice just purchased a modular home and it is lovely, had great layout, insulation and built just like a stick built. She even has stone counter tops, s/s applinaces and fireplace. We have almost the same sq. ft. but her layout is much better than mine...I envy her closets and linen storage!

BUT mine is paid for.. so I will stay here for a while longer:D
Dixie

Back
Top Bottom