Doublewide Dwellers?

Learned alot down here in Fl. We have everything between Mansion on .15 acre, and manufactured or mobile home on a zillion acres. There are alot of people down here who preferred to put their hard earned money into the land rather than an expensive home. If I did it all over again, I would do the same: more land, less house.

we have a 12x52 trailer home on 11 acres of ours and surrounded by 200+ acres of family farm. OUr home is truly tiny, but for now its what we have. We were planning on building a stick built home since hubby works in construction anyway. But with the new codes the prices have gone up majorly. So we desided to wait a year or two and upgrade to a nice double wide or modular. We have desided to wait so that we could build things like our med sized barn this fall and a 10x10 root cellar in the spring.
smile.png
And get things like are horses, Things that we knew that once we have that morgage we wouldn't be able to. I can wait a year or two for that, I am not sure most would though. But it seems to have worked for us.

I once lived about halfway between Navarre,FL and Pensacola Beach,FL in a 24x80 Frontier 1998...Then Ivan showed up,and yes,you guessed it,hurricane bait! Then I lived in a FEMA 8x33 travel trailer until last January and bought this house,2400 square feet and 32.48 acres all paid for. All this and I till have my chickies...quackers...honkers...noise-makers (pea fowl)...stinkers (goats)...kitties...and of course my life companions;the conures!

All y'all take care!

I've sort of lived in both. Our manufactured home was not a mobile home. I loved it but it wasn't built as well as our older woodframe homes. On the same property we had an old "Long Long Trailer"-type mobile home (love that movie!). I loved that old trailer. But that aside, that's not what I what to share.

My best friend lived in a top of the line mobile home on 5 acres. Her kids were very hard on it. In the 5 or so years they lived there, they had to replace doors at least twice and the bathtub 3 times! Kids would have temper tantrums and put their fist through the wall. This is not complaining about Mobile homes - as I said, it wasn't the mobile home's fault - it was the kid's!

Anyway, she left her husband and came to live with us until she could find a place. We live in an old house (1/2 log cabin built in 1890s and 1/2 farmhouse built @1920). Her oldest son pitched a fit one night about who knows what and threw his sister's bike, ripping out our clothesline AND came into the house and slammed his fist into the wall. IT WAS GREAT! For the first time he didn't find a wall that his fist would go through. He hit either solid lathe and plaster or log and you should have seen the look on his face! I looked at him and said, if you're done - you can go fix the clothesline.

The term "Trailer Trash" Most of the people I know who live in nice 'trailers' refer to themselves as trailer trash for fun. I hate that some people consider these homes temporary - like trying to get a loan on one. Or the comments made on this thread about trying to get someone to come work on one. That is awful. Two UGLY ones moved in on each side of my son's, a little tender loving care and they now look good. My friend recently re-sided hers - beautiful!

There is a sales lot in town that has a great two story manufactured home and a gorgeous 'log cabin' mobile - one that has a great partial wrap-around porch. LOVE THEM! Something I'd like!

I've always felt that the best set up would be to have a nice Great Room type home - with only one bedroom sitting on ten acres. Attach onto that a nice mobile home to use while your kids are growing up. When they are grown, move the mobile home to the other side of the ten acres and you and Dh live in peaceful bliss. If the kids come home, point to the mobile across the fields.

Mary Ann

5096 sq ft? thats insane...although theres a house on the intracoastal waterway by my old house thats 10,000+ sq ft. when they were putting it up I thought they were building a marina/bar/hotel...nope, personal residence.

actually, I looked it up...the value is $3,640,946.00
sq ft Total 12,342
9 br/9ba
yearly property tax $60,347.97

photobucket was down for mx, i'll post a pic of this bohemoth when it's back up again

I have a 2006 Jacobson. We designed it ourselfs picked out the flooring, walls, cabinets everything. I just love it saved a bunch of money.

And here's something you can do with a manufactued home. Traded in our old one for the new. Got $9,000 for our 1986 home that was damaged in hurricane Charley.
wink.png

I have a 2005 - 32 x 46 - double wide - modular home frm Clayton - I don't remember the particular name;3 bedroom, sitting room, living room, dining room, huge kitchen with center island and breakfast nook, two full baths, laundry/mud room. It has cathedral ceilings - we love it. We still have our old 11 room home - rent it. We are on about 1 acre with a 6 stall barn full of chickens
big_smile.png

When we move we will probably be in one also, my husband wants a modular home or one of the double wides. On a nice piece of land. One already in place if possible if not..oh boy will we have a learning experience with figuring out how to buy a good piece of land, getting it perced and having a well and septic system put in..

( ps) does anyone know of one available for sale in NC with at least an acre of land and would be willing to take reasonable payments..PM me ( not a joke )

Back
Top Bottom