Doughy Crop, ACS treatment, and feeding?

sholnay

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
The quick of it (Much more detail below this summary):
We've been treating for doughy crop with lemon/cayenne mixture. If we are to switch to treating with Acidified Copper Sulfate (ACS), the article (below) recommends adding to water for 7-10 days but doesn't mention anything around other food etc. Do we keep isolating our hen and ONLY providing ACS water solution? Do we feed? Do we feed a certain diet? I'm not sure that our hen can last 7-10 days without any food other than ACS treated water. Do we tube feed solution or just hope she drinks naturally throughout the day?

Thank you in advance to this community for existing and helping where possible - so many great people and information here.

More backstory:
We unexpectedly lost a hen last week and think it was an un-diagnosed crop issue. After checking all other hens, one other also appears to be in a similar predicament, though hopefully caught early enough.

We've been treating what feels like a doughy crop for about 3 days now. We started with just Lemon/Cayenne/Ginger/Cinnamon for 1.5 days, noticed improvement in the morning crop (down to a large marble size, from a peach). We transitioned to greek yogurt to get some calories in her (she is VERY light, about 1.5-6kgs (~ 3.4lbs). We don't have a baseline on her weight but she is emaciated, sunken V. We're worried she is just too thin and needs to get some weight on her. Anyway, I think we're going back to strict lemon mixture for the next day or two to see how she reacts and hopefully she has enough calories in her to make it. In the meantime, I want to buy some Acidified Copper Sulfate to get ahead of if we need to start using this instead of the lemon mixture (or in combination of).

We've been diligently reading and following the guide here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Same ask as above: If we are to switch to treating with Acidified Copper Sulfate (ACS), the article recommends adding to water for 7-10 days but doesn't mention anything around other food etc. Do we keep isolating her and ONLY providing ACS water solution? Do we feed? Do we feed a certain diet? I'm not sure that our hen can last 7-10 days without any food other than ACS treated water. Should we tube feed her this water solution (at what dose?). We're currently comfortable tube feeding her, which is a HUGE savings in time. 1ml syringe was a slow process.

@TwoCrows I'm tagging you because you wrote the article - I hope this is proper etiquette in asking for help, apologies if not!

Further info requested:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She's a red sex-link, 2.5 years old, very underweight at 1.5kgs (3.4-5lbs)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is a bit lethargic but not TOO bad. She has a doughy crop in the morning. No noticeable smell from her mouth, but we've been feeding her lemon/cayenne/garlic water/etc. We first noticed that when she was free-ranging, she would not come when called (she would always runs for treats). She was hiding with her partner (the one who died last week) under some bushes, being generally antisocial. She would avoid me more than normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Thinking back, maybe 2 weeks.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
We had 4 hens, we lost one to what we think is the same thing. 2 hens appear perfectly normal, good weight, lots of energy.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Semi-abrupt feed change about a month ago.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Drinking some, we have been isolating her and only feeding her water/garlic water/lemon mixture/yogurt (tube feeding).

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny/mucousy/some black gritty

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Above

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Looking to treat at home.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Wood shavings, just cleaned. We're letting her roost in the coop at night but isolating her in the morning before she can eat/drink (so we are fully controlling her diet right now, other than the spider I saw her eat when she went in the coop last night).

Writing a reply to update on where our heads are at.

We're ceasing our yogurt feeding - in hindsight, this is likely just exacerbating any yeast problem as the sugar in the yogurt is likely a great treat for any yeast.

We're back on lemon/cayenne/cinnamon/ginger at 6 ml every 4-6 hours.

We're going to introduce scrambled eggs and water in between lemon feedings. Hopefully she eats it? Maybe it's futile? Just feel like she needs calories to stand a chance.

I've ordered ACS, hopefully it's here by late this week or early next. With any luck, the lemon treatment over the next couple days will eliminate the crop issue? Regardless of if it does or doesn't, we plan to keep separating our hen during the days, feed her treated ACS water, and provide food at regular intervals (starting easy with eggs, maybe yogurt again once the crop seems clear, slowly adding in some soaked feed, maybe oats etc). Will also feed probiotics once the ACS is cycled.

Always happy to hear thoughts/ideas/feedback on the above plans - this is just us taking our best guess at treating based on reading as much as we can.

She's not looking so great, very lethargic, falling asleep while standing or while getting her crop massaged. Just doubt she has much energy left in her. We're going to try and get some sort of calories in to her, preparing for it to be too late this time around. Not sure if she can even absorb much.

We let her outside to run around for a few minutes, she didn't want to go back in her pen. Maybe that was her final hurrah. 😢

She's not looking so great, very lethargic, falling asleep while standing or while getting her crop massaged. Just doubt she has much energy left in her. We're going to try and get some sort of calories in to her, preparing for it to be too late this time around. Not sure if she can even absorb much.

We let her outside to run around for a few minutes, she didn't want to go back in her pen. Maybe that was her final hurrah. 😢
How did your hen fare? Did she make it? Our hen has similar symptoms with yours. I ordered the ACS.

I've been meaning to post an update. We spent last Friday, the day of my last post, basically mourning our hen. She was just SO weak, toward the end of the night she was just a standing zombie, closed eyes, tilting to one side. We decided to just pump her full of food (maybe 15mLs) and let her at least pass on a full stomach.

Miraculously on Saturday morning, she was awake! Her eyes were not closed, she reacted (slightly) when we came in the garage! We received the ACS on Saturday, I mixed up a gallon and we've started all our hens on it on Sunday. We're still isolating our sick hen, a week later, she appears to be digesting much better. Her crop is consistently smaller every morning. We're going to weigh her this morning to see if she has maybe put on SOME weight, we sure hope so. We've been tube feeding her water and a random blended mixture of oats, scrambled eggs, peanut butter, yogurt, her feed. Her poop is slowly starting to look a little better (though it doesn't appear she's pooping too much, hard to tell). She has no desire to really eat or peck for food. High value treats, eggs, mealworms, scratch, none of it is appealing to her so we have to feed her by syringe.

So that's it, we're just going day by day with her, she'll wrap up ACS in 4 or 5 more days, we're going to keep her isolated until she shows signs of putting weight on. We'll deal with reintroducing her to her food later but for now she's at least alive! (and we've become VERY good at tube/syringe feeding her! Just wish we could find a more rigid tube to use, the one we have is rubber and way too flimsy, I just have no idea where to go for something better - and can't find anything online).

How did your hen fare? Did she make it? Our hen has similar symptoms with yours. I ordered the ACS.

Ours has shown noticeable signs of improvement after starting the acidified copper sulfate (and after we started feeding her real food more aggressively). Her crop is not completely empty in the mornings but it's been consistently getting smaller, so we're hopeful. Either that, or maybe her crop is always going to be big now and she'll need a support harness.

Best of luck, it's really tough situation to be in. We can read and read and read advice yet still not have the answers we need in the moment.

I’m so glad that your hen is on the mend!

Yes, I’ve been wondering if ours will also have a permanent enlarged crop and will need a harness as well. I tried the lemon/cayenne mixture myself and my mouth was ON FIRE. No wonder she hates it so much and her beak is open after I do it.

I have to learn how to tube feed. What has been the most helpful resource for you as you learned that? How did you know what type of tube+syringe to buy?

I’m so glad that your hen is on the mend!

Yes, I’ve been wondering if ours will also have a permanent enlarged crop and will need a harness as well. I tried the lemon/cayenne mixture myself and my mouth was ON FIRE. No wonder she hates it so much and her beak is open after I do it.

I have to learn how to tube feed. What has been the most helpful resource for you as you learned that? How did you know what type of tube+syringe to buy?

We may have spoken too soon - this morning, her crop was not much smaller than last night :( So we've gone light on food and water for the day. She is noticeably more lethargic today compared to the last few days, so something is not right. We're hoping for the best, trying everything, who knows.

For tube feeding, first, we started by watching the resources on here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/. Those are good examples to see how to handle a bird but it's NOT easy. We bought some syringes and started feeding with the 1mL syringes, you can basically shove them down the right side of the throat, fairly deep, and you're certain to miss the airway. This is not easy for feeding water or bulk liquids though, 1mL at a time is time consuming, so we bought this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077QP6VT3/ and the largest tube is the one we use. We shove the end down her right side of the beak, nearly all the way in, then squirt the water in. I've attempted to do this alone but I can't do it. My partner is able to do it alone, he's figured out how to be firm, I haven't. However, we mostly help each other, I'll hold the bird, like a football, and he can quickly shove the tube down and feed her (same with syringe, I hold the bird, he can quickly refill and feed, refill and feed, 15-25 times based on how full her crop feels.

Just doing some more searching, I might try these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075BHHB4Y/ (just need to buy some catheter tip syringes, which there are lots available on amazon).
We don't love the syringe tubes that come with the above kit, the biggest one is rubber and not ideal. It would be much easier to get the tube down the throat if it was a bit firmer/sturdier rather than floppy rubber. It would also be easier to feed her foods if the tube was larger, but it's really been the only one I have seen to buy. I've started searching again though, might have found some options online, 18fr catheter and syringes, some sites don't list the gauge, which is meaningless.

Sorry to hear that your hen is showing symptoms again. I hope it gets better.

I did buy some hoses. There are some useful links in this post and that’s where I bought them and some feeding syringes. I got 3 18fr and one of the next size up and down (just in case). The shipping costs more than the tubes so it was worth getting extras of things.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

I’m not sure when they will get here, but it’s not soon enough. I’m so done trying to mouthfeed. Makes me and our hen miserable.

You can do it! Just takes practice, patience, and a firm hand!

I think we're going to worm our hen, I just ordered Safeguard (you can find lots of threads here on it). Maybe the worms are causing the crop issue, since she's been on ACS for 7 days now and symptoms are not improving, we'll try this out.

Good luck to you, hope things arrive quick enough to help.

Back
Top Bottom