Dr. Seuss Eggs in Autumn

GeeseGoose

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
So today, I had a shock while making an omelette, as I had not planned to make green eggs and ham. I cracked open a fresh egg, only for it to look like this:
(Source in photo)

Obviously, this scared me. At first, I panicked.
Are one of my ducks laying rotten eggs? Is that even a thing? Is it… bacterial?!?
Then, I had to calm down and think. I broke the yolks membrane, and sure enough, only the membrane was green. I then hopped on good ol’ Google, and it became clear;
Acorns.
They have been eating acorns.

Turns out their autumnal snack contains tannin, an astringent found in stuff like acorns, bark, tea, coffee, chocolate, grapes and cranberries. (aka, the reason I hate grape skins!) Apparently, high amounts of tannins make yolks green. Who knew?

I also read that these green eggs are safe to eat, but I don’t know if I can stomach it after such a scare!

So today, I had a shock while making an omelette, as I had not planned to make green eggs and ham. I cracked open a fresh egg, only for it to look like this:
View attachment 2863353
Obviously, this scared me. At first, I panicked.
Are one of my ducks laying rotten eggs? Is that even a thing? Is it… bacterial?!?
Then, I had to calm down and think. I broke the yolks membrane, and sure enough, only the membrane was green. I then hopped on good ol’ Google, and it became clear;
Acorns.
They have been eating acorns.

Turns out their autumnal snack contains tannin, an astringent found in stuff like acorns, bark, tea, coffee, chocolate, grapes and cranberries. (aka, the reason I hate grape skins!) Apparently, high amounts of tannins make yolks green. Who knew?

I also read that these green eggs are safe to eat, but I don’t know if I can stomach it after such a scare!
That's amazing! Good thing you figured it out.😊

Thanks!
I tried editing, but I don’t see the tag input 🤔 I’m on mobile, if that changes things
You can make a separate post with the tags or just edit your original post and add the tags.🙂
it all came back to me, especially being startled by the goose breaking the silence with a crunch!

Back
Top Bottom