Dropped an egg during hatching

jenM4

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2022
I messed up this is my first time hatching eggs. I have had ducks for years now and decided to hatch eggs. I dropped an egg its day going onto day 30. The bottom of the egg cracked and broke it did not rip the membrane though. I put a little Vaseline on that end, because it still had some veins. I didn't want it to dry out since it still had blood to absorb from that area. It was the end with the air sac. I'm really freaking out I feel like crap. It started spitting bubbles out the stopped moving and breathing I panicked. And picked it up to make sure it wasn't dead. I know mess up on my end. She's still moving and seems to be ok but I'm worried. Don't they need the end to shell to stay attached because of the yolk and umbilical cord? It didn't fall from really high up just fell a couple inches. It was enough to break off the bottom half though. The membrane underneath was drying out. There is still a layer that the duckling is in, and none of the veins look like they got broke or anything. Is she going to die because that part is broken?

Attachments

• 16817070991693302402401721204456.jpg
    16817070991693302402401721204456.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 38
As long as the membrane is intact, she'll likely be fine though be prepared to confine her to a cup as she'll likely hatch quicker than her yolk sack will absorb.

As long as the membrane is intact, she'll likely be fine though be prepared to confine her to a cup as she'll likely hatch quicker than her yolk sack will absorb.
Thanks she still seems fine today. She in the same position. She is making a chewing motion still so I'm assuming she's trying to finish absorbing her yolk. The vessels I seen on the bottom are starting to disappear now and nothing has leaked. So so far so good.

The aircell end is what i'd call the top, and it's a lot less dangerous to crack that end especially right near hatch time. She should be able to hatch on her own so long as the membrane doesnt dry out. If it looks yellow or brown put some coconut oil or vaseline on it to keep it from drying. Just be careful not to block off the breathing hole she has

Back
Top Bottom