Dr. Z. saved my girl!

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
Today I realized that one of my favorite hens, Coco a blue cochin was egg bound. You all know that many times it is fatal. I took her to the Bolton Veterinary hospital where she was seen by Dr. Zyra (Dr. Z.), treated, and saved. She got the broken egg out, performed some surgery, gave us antibiotics all for the bargain price of $75!! If this had been our regular avian vet, who shall remain nameless, I'm sure it would have been at least $300! thank you Dr. Z. and Bolton Veterinary Hospital, (Bolton, CT BTW) we think you are all special and you all rock!
love.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
bow.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

17629_100_1505.jpg

OK, I hope I haven't jumped the gun. She doesn't seem to be doing that good tonight but she did have some surgery today. I know I won't get this exactly right but when Dr. Z. told me what had happened to Coco, I think this is close: She did have an egg stuck in her, that much is for sure. But Dr. Z. explained that the cloaca wasn't fully developed and that was what had caused the egg to get stuck. So she opened up the cloaca some and she said there was some necrotic tissue which she removed and sutured up her vent so she wouldn't lay any eggs and give the surgery a chance to heal. I asked what about pooping and she said that she thought the poop would be able to come out.
sickbyc.gif
I have to give her antibiotics 2X daily for 10 days and she said if I wanted to (she sort of made it sound optional) I could syringe a bit of Preparation H into the vent when I gave her the meds and she showed me how. It didn't look difficult so, of course, I said I would do it. I gave Coco some plain greek yogurt, a little scrambled egg, and a bit of the mash I make for my parrots with a few pellets and she hasn't touched it. A little while ago, I was just looking at her and she squatted a little and made an odd grunting noise like she wanted to poop but nothing came out and nothing has since we got home at 4:00. I thought of trying to tempt her with some soft bread crumbs (which she loves) but now am wondering if I should not push the food if she is having trouble pooping. The vet is open tomorrow, Saturday and if she hasn't pooped by tomorrow morning, I will give them a call. I do have an appt. for next tuesday for follow up and to remove sutures. Any thoughts on this? And thank you, I think she is quite beautiful too!
love.gif

Keep a close eye on her because it's hard to tell how they'll handle these things. Over night she makes it is a great thing but a week to be sure. Yes she's pretty, we're all rooting for you.

she said there was some necrotic tissue which she removed and sutured up her vent so she wouldn't lay any eggs

?????

I'm asking would this work? to my pea brain it sounds like it would just ensure she would become egg bound.
idunno.gif
Anyone?​

Last edited:
Sounds funny to me also, If she needs to pass another egg, she won't be able.....although mine waited a few days or more before laying again after being egg bound, unless the vet gave her something to stop laying? Was she prolapsed as well?

Back
Top Bottom