Dragging butt, lethargic, waling like sumo wrestler

54renihanmeadows

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
Hey everyone,
I have a chicken that has been gradually getting more lethargic. The other day I found her rolled over on her back and when I flipped her back onto her feet she rolled over again a few minutes later. When she walks it's like she's very obese and walks like a sumo wrestler that's dragging their butt on the ground at the same time. She seems still interested in food as she still pecks here and there. I can tell she's having a hard time, she just stands in place all hunched with her butt and belly on the ground. Anybody know what could be the cause. She's a new hampshire red if that means anything. Also I forgot to mention that a few weeks ago her poop was bright green, but it's been back to normal color a for a couple weeks now.

Thank you, I hope she gets better soon too! I felt her abdomen and it feels soft and just big. Overall she just looks big and bloated but everything I touch has give and isn't too hard.

A large bloated under belly between the legs could be ascites or a reproductive infection (salpingitis, internals laying, egg yolk peritonitis.) Hens with these may have a tail that is pointedd downward, walk like a penquin, or stand in an upright position. If her crop in her chest is soft and puffy all the time, she might have a pendulous crop. Can you post any pictures of her? Is she eating and drinking normally? What do her droppings look like?

When she's not dragging her butt this is usually how she looks.

Attachments

• 20210508_080522.jpg
    20210508_080522.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 14
A large bloated under belly between the legs could be ascites or a reproductive infection (salpingitis, internals laying, egg yolk peritonitis.) Hens with these may have a tail that is pointedd downward, walk like a penquin, or stand in an upright position. If her crop in her chest is soft and puffy all the time, she might have a pendulous crop. Can you post any pictures of her? Is she eating and drinking normally? What do her droppings look like?
Her droppings are pretty loose but normal colored from what I can tell. Her crop doesn't seem to be
Thank you for responding to my post.. Her droppings are loose but look relatively normal. It seems to be getting pretty messy back there though. From what I can tell her crop doesn't seem swollen. Here are some pictures of what she looks like 90%of the time

Attachments

• 20210508_081021.jpg
    20210508_081021.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210508_081537.jpg
    20210508_081537.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210508_081213.jpg
    20210508_081213.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 11
Reproductive disorders are a common cause of illness and death in chickens. You can try an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or Fish Mix sold in a some feedstores or online. Antibotics may or may not be effective, but might extend her life. Has she laid eggs recently? You can try to feel for a stuck egg by inserting a clean finger into her vent about 1-2 inches. Do you feed a diet of layer feed plus have some crushed oyster shell available to her for extra calcium? Try to keep her eating food, such as moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg bits, and lots of clean water.

UPDATE: I've put her in a warm Epsom salt bath and have been massaging her in case she is egg bound. I don't think she is though. Her stomach feels extremely bloated and huge, kinda like pushing a very soft piece of dough or balloon. What do you think it could be?

Attachments

• 20210508_102215.jpg
    20210508_102215.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210508_095338.jpg
    20210508_095338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom