Drake becoming increasingly mean?

ducklover96

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
Hey all, I have a 5 month old Khaki Campbell drake that has over the past couple of weeks becoming increasingly mean to my other duck and to our seven chickens. Yesterday this resulted in a leg injury to our buff orpington hen, she is still limping; and we are worried this may be a larger problem than we anticipated. He also regularly attacks our Araucaunas and my Indian Runner hen. He is the only male fowl we own; could this be the problem? Is there any way we can stop this? I don't want to have to get rid of him!

Hey all, I have a 5 month old Khaki Campbell drake that has over the past couple of weeks becoming increasingly mean to my other duck and to our seven chickens. Yesterday this resulted in a leg injury to our buff orpington hen, she is still limping; and we are worried this may be a larger problem than we anticipated. He also regularly attacks our Araucaunas and my Indian Runner hen. He is the only male fowl we own; could this be the problem? Is there any way we can stop this? I don't want to have to get rid of him!
Give him some time out[like for the rest of his life] I am only kidding, but sounds like his hormones are kicking in and they don't know how to control them too well. you may have to separate him though till he chills out some, maybe give him his own space where he will still have protection from preds but he is not able to get to the girls or chickens,. it may take till end of summer before he comes around. is he trying to mount your hens? that is very serious and can kill your hens. Ducks and chickens are not made to mate and if it happens can seriously injure or kill one.

He is trying to mate, I believe - if the flapping and pulling at her neck feathers with his bill whilst trying to jump on her is considered mating. These are my first ducks and I'm not sure what's what, just yet. I do have somewhere else I can put him, how will I know when to put him back with the girls?

He is trying to mate, I believe - if the flapping and pulling at her neck feathers with his bill whilst trying to jump on her is considered mating. These are my first ducks and I'm not sure what's what, just yet. I do have somewhere else I can put him, how will I know when to put him back with the girls?
I'd say he is trying to mate, the drakes are crazy when those hormones first start, only way to know when he is ready to be with the flock is to try him out periodically, if he starts again just lock him back up. he may come around but it might be fall before he can be out of solitary confinement. They tend to calm down going into the fall months. but if you only have 1 other duck you might want to bring in more ducks too, that will help your duck out as far as him wanting to over breed her and that may stop his going after your hens. I have enough ducks for my drakes that they have not gone after my chickens at all. Do they free range or are they penned all together?

Back
Top Bottom