Drake dismay causing rethinking?

Well, unfortunately we have to “process” two of my drake Rouens who were, a big issue. For one, he would get on Daisy the second I would set her in the pond and I would need to knock him off. So, Chris and I called my Dad. This was not an easy decision as you all know and. Sooo appreciate all the support I’ve gotten from all of you. I put an ad on the internet. But, we decided, if we get no calls, we will need to, do the practical thing. And, I hope soo much, my true intention is to just make things safe. I would love to have a drake only area...and I could now..in the barn...but not outside. The farm is too big. I can’t fence off half my pond, and I don’t want to have ducks that can’t use the pond. I can try to keep them penned, I suppose, and see how it goes, but I’m sure that will break my heart even more. Thank you all

If I ever bite the bill and get a duck (or probably two because a single duck is an emotionally abused duck), I'll get drake ducklings. I won't get females because I don't need eggs and I don't want a whole bunch more ducks. They'll be pets, part of the family and that's it.

But that's me. I'm fine being Duck Dad. You have 41 ducks/drakes. You're not a Duck Mom. You are a Duck Queen. The ruler of a Duck nation/village. You have the responsibility to ensure that your subjects/citizens have the best quality of life. And the best quality of death.

Math tells me that you still have 20 drakes to 21 ducks, which is still probably too many drakes. With Christmas coming up you could set aside a certain number for processing into Christmas main courses. The caveat being that you and your Dad would process the birds on your farm. That way you could give those drakes one last gift - a swift, humane death. You can't control what others might do if you give them to other farms, but you can control that. You could either sell them or donate them to a charity for a tax write-off or something. Which would benefit the farm. Which would benefit the living ducks on the farm. Which is what the Duck Queen is supposed to do.

I feel for you. I have a much smaller flock of 13. Jack and Diane and their 9 eggs were a house warming present in June. Jack and Diane definitely hold a special place and will eventually die of old age. 7 ducklings hatched in July, plus a friend bought me 4 more ducklings without asking if I wanted them. Watching the flock, 5 of the young drakes are already bullies and jerks so in a couple of days they are heading off. SSSSHHH I am such a wimp, that my daughter has to deliver them to the processing farm. I'll raise a toast at Christmas dinner.

If I ever bite the bill and get a duck (or probably two because a single duck is an emotionally abused duck), I'll get drake ducklings. I won't get females because I don't need eggs and I don't want a whole bunch more ducks. They'll be pets, part of the family and that's it.

But that's me. I'm fine being Duck Dad. You have 41 ducks/drakes. You're not a Duck Mom. You are a Duck Queen. The ruler of a Duck nation/village. You have the responsibility to ensure that your subjects/citizens have the best quality of life. And the best quality of death.

Math tells me that you still have 20 drakes to 21 ducks, which is still probably too many drakes. With Christmas coming up you could set aside a certain number for processing into Christmas main courses. The caveat being that you and your Dad would process the birds on your farm. That way you could give those drakes one last gift - a swift, humane death. You can't control what others might do if you give them to other farms, but you can control that. You could either sell them or donate them to a charity for a tax write-off or something. Which would benefit the farm. Which would benefit the living ducks on the farm. Which is what the Duck Queen is supposed to do.
I like everything you said here..except being called a queen..I’ll just go for the Momma part..lol, I’m a little too humble for the other title. It does give me a bit of peace knowing that these boys, as I call them..are having a lot of fun on our farm. We spoil them with minnows, meal worms, peas, watermelon pumpkin, you name it! They’ve had fields to roam and a huge pond to swim. And, the ones I did take from other homes, all came from places that offered no space, no pond, etc. So I feel very happy that I am able to have these animals live here. And, yes, I suppose, die here too..rather than ship them off and put them through the stress of going to a new scarey place. So, thank you for your very kind words, it helps a lot

I would literally drive all the way to rescue Little Lou if he was in question...

But seriously, you're being too hard on yourself. It is so easy to become attached, but remember you're also attached to the ones getting beat up. I think you'll find it very difficult, but once the downsizing is done, it should be much more peaceful like what you originally had in mind.

How you go about it is your business, and there's no judgement here. Like my mom used to tell us "I brought you into this world, and I'll take you out!" :lol:

Well, unfortunately we have to “process” two of my drake Rouens who were, a big issue. For one, he would get on Daisy the second I would set her in the pond and I would need to knock him off. So, Chris and I called my Dad. This was not an easy decision as you all know and. Sooo appreciate all the support I’ve gotten from all of you. I put an ad on the internet. But, we decided, if we get no calls, we will need to, do the practical thing. And, I hope soo much, my true intention is to just make things safe. I would love to have a drake only area...and I could now..in the barn...but not outside. The farm is too big. I can’t fence off half my pond, and I don’t want to have ducks that can’t use the pond. I can try to keep them penned, I suppose, and see how it goes, but I’m sure that will break my heart even more. Thank you all
I have to wonder about the "drakes drowning a female during mating thing". I mean...most 'natural' behavior is geared toward the male passing on his genes to the next generation, right. So how is "Yippee! I mated successfully with Daisy...but shoot...she's not moving now..." a good strategy...I mean, the female is dead - she's not hatching any of Donald's eggs. You'd think that behavior would be self-defeating and die out as a behavior. If it happens in wild ducks and not just domestic ducks...I just don't get it.

I have to wonder about the "drakes drowning a female during mating thing". I mean...most 'natural' behavior is geared toward the male passing on his genes to the next generation, right. So how is "Yippee! I mated successfully with Daisy...but shoot...she's not moving now..." a good strategy...I mean, the female is dead - she's not hatching any of Donald's eggs. You'd think that behavior would be self-defeating and die out as a behavior. If it happens in wild ducks and not just domestic ducks...I just don't get it.
It is definitely frightening to watch..I always wait until it’s over, ready to break it up if things take...too long. So embarrassing to discuss.

It is generally not the result of one drake mating drowning a hen; although, that can happen upon occasion with a very large clumsy drake and a smaller hen. It happens when 2 or more drakes gang breed a hen and hold her under water too long. There are videos of a dozen or more drakes breeding/trying to breed a hen.

I like everything you said here..except being called a queen..I’ll just go for the Momma part..lol, I’m a little too humble for the other title. It does give me a bit of peace knowing that these boys, as I call them..are having a lot of fun on our farm. We spoil them with minnows, meal worms, peas, watermelon pumpkin, you name it! They’ve had fields to roam and a huge pond to swim. And, the ones I did take from other homes, all came from places that offered no space, no pond, etc. So I feel very happy that I am able to have these animals live here. And, yes, I suppose, die here too..rather than ship them off and put them through the stress of going to a new scarey place. So, thank you for your very kind words, it helps a lot

Calling you a queen wasn't about pride or flattery so much as distance. If you're the Duck Mom, then you are have to decide which of your children to kill. And that's awful for you. But being the Duck Queen gives you perspective and distance. The Queen/ruler of a nation sometimes has to send her citizen-soldier to die for their country and for the good of all in it. Some, perhaps even most of those drakes are going to have to perish for the good of all. So, in that decision, it's better of you're the queen doing her duty than the Mom choosing between children.

Back
Top Bottom