Drake Isolating Himself

Hogan14

Chirping
Nov 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Hi I have 6 ducks. 1 male Muscovy, 1 male mallard, 2 female mallards, and 2 female muscovies.

Right now I think something might be happening with the social hierarchy but it’s concerning me because my male mallard is normally very much part of the group and for the last week he has been sitting inside the duck house while everyone is outside. When I visit him he is very much himself, and he will take food and is grooming himself fine. He looks totally healthy from my perspective.

The reason why I think something is going on with the social pack is because when I put him out with the other ducks, my two female muscovies start attacking him and everyone gets worked up and he goes back inside or they chase him inside. They have all lived together for 5 years so nothing new has happened. He’s usually the second from the top. My male Muscovy is top dog. But right now it seems like the male mallard is on the bottom of the pack.

Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen and how long it could last. I just want to see him out and happy again.

Hi I have 6 ducks. 1 male Muscovy, 1 male mallard, 2 female mallards, and 2 female muscovies.

Right now I think something might be happening with the social hierarchy but it’s concerning me because my male mallard is normally very much part of the group and for the last week he has been sitting inside the duck house while everyone is outside. When I visit him he is very much himself, and he will take food and is grooming himself fine. He looks totally healthy from my perspective.

The reason why I think something is going on with the social pack is because when I put him out with the other ducks, my two female muscovies start attacking him and everyone gets worked up and he goes back inside or they chase him inside. They have all lived together for 5 years so nothing new has happened. He’s usually the second from the top. My male Muscovy is top dog. But right now it seems like the male mallard is on the bottom of the pack.

Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen and how long it could last. I just want to see him out and happy again.
Similar thing has been happening with my Muscovy Ducks as well. They were all living together fine and got along well but this past week my male Muscovy has been a total jerk. Hi will pin the other ducks to the ground and just stand on them. He not try to mate he just stands on them for a few seconds then hops off. I don't know why they have the sudden change.

My male Muscovy can be an ass for no reason too. He tries to mate my male mallard! But in this case he seems to be standing back while the females are pecking at my male mallard. It’s weird to see. Especially because the one female is the bottom of the pack and it’s like she’s had enough!

Do you have any ducks that have isolated themselves?

My male Muscovy can be an ass for no reason too. He tries to mate my male mallard! But in this case he seems to be standing back while the females are pecking at my male mallard. It’s weird to see. Especially because the one female is the bottom of the pack and it’s like she’s had enough!

Do you have any ducks that have isolated themselves?
After my dog killed two of my ducks my drake isolated himself for a while. He's just now starting to get back to normal but he's still not completely back. He'll walk with some of the girls and talk for a little while before he goes off by himself for about thirty minutes then comes back. I have a small female runner who is only about 3 or four pounds who bosses everyone around! When my male Muscovy tried to wrestle her she gave him a pretty good fight for how small she is. She bosses him around all day along with my Pekin drake. One of my friends has experienced something similar with her chickens. One day almost all of the hens ganged up on the roosters. Whenever the roosters tried to mate one hen all of the hens would come to her aid and fend the rooster off. Its odd how the pecking order works sometimes.

Are the female Mallards ganging up on your Mallard drake to? Maybe try putting the two breeds separate an see how that goes? Mallards together and Muscovy together. My Muscovy drake never pays much attention to the Runners an Buffs but boy my one Runner drake can sure run down the Muscovy females, But I have a few that will stand up to him. Has the Mallard drake ever harassed the Muscovy females?

After my dog killed two of my ducks my drake isolated himself for a while. He's just now starting to get back to normal but he's still not completely back. He'll walk with some of the girls and talk for a little while before he goes off by himself for about thirty minutes then comes back. I have a small female runner who is only about 3 or four pounds who bosses everyone around! When my male Muscovy tried to wrestle her she gave him a pretty good fight for how small she is. She bosses him around all day along with my Pekin drake. One of my friends has experienced something similar with her chickens. One day almost all of the hens ganged up on the roosters. Whenever the roosters tried to mate one hen all of the hens would come to her aid and fend the rooster off. Its odd how the pecking order works sometimes.

I’m sorry to hear that your two ducks were killed. I heard that when that happens it takes a while for the ducks to feel back to normal.

Lol it’s funny how it’s mind over matter! Your female runner sounds like my female Muscovy. She’s so small but she seems to be the smartest of all my ducks.

Interesting to hear that chickens have done this too. I’m glad to hear it sounds like it just happens sometimes.

Are the female Mallards ganging up on your Mallard drake to? Maybe try putting the two breeds separate an see how that goes? Mallards together and Muscovy together. My Muscovy drake never pays much attention to the Runners an Buffs but boy my one Runner drake can sure run down the Muscovy females, But I have a few that will stand up to him. Has the Mallard drake ever harassed the Muscovy females?
Mostly the Muscovy females. The female mallards kind of join in but they aren’t the instigators.

No the mallard male isn’t usually aggressive, it’s the Muscovy male that is.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom