Drake Isolating Himself

Here’s an update. Decided to go ahead and separate the the mallards from the muscovies.

My mallard drake named Forrest is still acting normal and I’ll let him out to roam and he’s as happy as can be but as soon as I put him back in the enclosure he is chased off inside still. My husband is great and knew that I’m getting pretty upset over the whole situation so he called a handy man to build a whole new home for the mallards. They will be living right next to the muscovies so they can still see each other but there will be a fence in the way. It’s getting built today and he will be living in an even nicer home than he is now! So I’m feeling a lot better about the whole thing.

All the ducks are watching the man build the enclosure beside them and poor Forrest came out to see what was going on and they chased him back inside, so I was like yep this is the right thing to do.

:thumbsup That's awesome! can't stand to see our babies being bullied. So nice of your husband to have this done. Let us know how it goes once they are put into their own pens. Pics please to.

I will! Part of it is done and Forrest was able to sit in the grass and not be stuck inside today. It’s nice because he wants to sit with the other ducks and this way he can be a part of the pack without getting attacked.

It’ll be finished tomorrow. I’ll post pics when it’s done!

Hi so sorry it’s been a busy week. I was just thinking today I need to get on here and give an update!

So the new coop is great. Just did all the finishing touches today. Turned out way better than expected. Forrest is in there for the first time with his two girls Linda and Harriet and they don’t seem phased about the change. There is an area underneath with grass and Forrest was there all day and seemed very proud while the other ducks are watching him do his thing.

I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

I just had a quick question too, since it’s getting cold at night here we put in a red heat lamp. We’ve never used one, usually just heaters that blow. But do you think the red light might bother them at night??

Oh and also want to mention of course when the coop was getting built we got a dump of snow so it had to be put off getting built for a week so poor Forrest had to tough it out in his old coop.
Hi so sorry it’s been a busy week. I was just thinking today I need to get on here and give an update!

So the new coop is great. Just did all the finishing touches today. Turned out way better than expected. Forrest is in there for the first time with his two girls Linda and Harriet and they don’t seem phased about the change. There is an area underneath with grass and Forrest was there all day and seemed very proud while the other ducks are watching him do his thing.

I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

I just had a quick question too, since it’s getting cold at night here we put in a red heat lamp. We’ve never used one, usually just heaters that blow. But do you think the red light might bother them at night??

Back
Top Bottom