Drake picking on one female

Amberly98

Songster
7 Years
Oct 14, 2015
Orangrvale, CA
Hello All-
I have 4 females and 1 male and my male is chasing away only one of my females but allows the other 3 to be around.

Back Story: I had 3 females and one male that got along fine. The girls were happy and only called out when something scared them. I have call ducks so they are little, but very loud when they call. My male passed away (not sure why just found him dead with not wounds). My girls were beside themselves and spent week calling for him. After about a month, I got a new drake and one more female. Two of my three girls were smitten of the drake from the start. My other female was less than impressed. Since our original drake had died, she had stepped up and become the leader of the two younger females.

Everyone has been getting along fine for about a month, then all of a sudden the drake has stated chasing our one female away. He won't let her near the other females and will chase her out of the pond or away from them if on land. They have free range of our backyard and have lots of room, but he just doesn't want her around the other females. I am at a loss as to what to do to help him accept her. The one he does not like is my favorite and by far the friendliest with humans. So, she has been calling out until we stand outside with her as he will leave her alone when we are around. The females have no issues and get along fine with each other. Will it get better during breeding season? Should I separate out the other females so that he only has the one female (that he chases away) to enter act with and hope they learn to accept each other? Will they sort it out on their own?

I have never had an issue where a drake wouldn't accept all the females in the flock. Any advice would be apricated.

Back
Top Bottom