Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

I have gazillions of blackbirds, even red-winged ones (which only started showing up a couple of years ago). I wouldn't call them "songbirds," but I like the sounds they make.

There are also lots of confused robins -- who must feel as if they showed up early -- and juncos -- who showed up late in the winter and seem to be overstaying their usual visiting time.

I was THRILLED yesterday to see some of the tulips I planted last fall are coming up. Between the weird weather (snow last week, 50-plus degrees yesterday) and an army of digging squirrels, I wasn't too hopeful. Only ONE of my strawberry plants is coming up, and it's clear that squirrels have been digging throughout the berry patch. Grrr!

It's been warm enough and windy enough that the ground is finally drying up, at least enough that I don't come in feeling like I'm wearing Frankenstein boots with heavy mud clinging to them.

Congrats on the sauerkraut, Jim!

Yesterday was all about cleaning coops and shelters. Today, Lisa, I will tackle all the dog poop piles. On a more pleasant note, congrats on getting your plants started. I'm contemplating heading to Seed Savers in May to buy tomato and pepper transplants.

Progress report on No. 1: His name is now Ozzie Orangecat, and he is doing his best to adopt me. I broke down and bought a bag of Meow Mix (my cats all eat special urinary-care food). Being hissed at by the geese seems to have convinced him to leave all the poultry alone, and he doesn't freak out when the (leashed) dogs come outside to do their business.

The other two cats that showed up at the same time don't want me anywhere near them, although they will eat the Meow Mix. The tortoiseshell is clearly pregnant.

I am going to have to fence in the remaining portion of the raised bed garden. Ozzie has decided he likes to lounge on the nice, warm dirt. I'm sure that's not all he's doing, and I prefer to goat fertilizer to feline.

Lisa, the last thing I want and/or need is a cat farm. Because of coyotes and proximity to a busy blacktop road, cats don't last long here. And, I can't bring more cats into the house to upset my three senior kitties.

After breakfast yesterday, Ozzie Orangecat was nowhere to be found. I found a small amount of upchucked Meow Mix by the basement window where he likes to stare wistfully at my cat who suns herself there. I spent a lot of time telling myself that it wasn't a big deal. I am a liar.

When I took out the dogs last night, I spotted something lying by the fence near the road. I hurried the dogs into the house and ran back to find Ozzie flat on the ground -- until he lifted up his head and stared at me. Apparently, I interrupted his sunny naptime.

At 4:30 today, he was yowling for breakfast (the good food this time, not the cheap stuff) as I took out the dogs. I can't bring him in the house, but it appears I have a cat.

The others -- Soleil and Calypso, I can't just call them No. 2 and No. 3, can I? -- run off as soon as they see me but are happy to eat Meow Mix at a distance.

Did yard work yesterday and my first purple crocuses are blooming. No sign of asparagus yet, but both my old and new rhubarb beds are showing progress. Tiny tops of peonies are coming up, and the daylily bed is thriving. Maybe, just maybe, it's really spring now.

Happy Easter everybody!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom