Dressed Carcass Picture Chart

I am slowly, a little at a time, going through my thread about Crossing my Red Rangers and posting what i have posted there. Its the only place where I kept any information with the pictures. I also came up with the thought that maybe we can comb through old threads where people already posted their carcass pictures and information and then pass it on to one central thread. Also when that is completed someone could volunteer to pit all of them into one post so people can look them up without going through a bunch of pages

I also came up with the thought that maybe we can comb through old threads where people already posted their carcass pictures and information and then pass it on to one central thread. Also when that is completed someone could volunteer to pit all of them into one post so people can look them up without going through a bunch of pages
Yes, that is a very good idea, for example recently posted pic of a Dark Cornish rooster at 6 month old

This is what a 6 month old cockerel looks like dressed. The 4 month old bird is just smaller, but as well formed and meaty.

Cornish1.jpg

I am slowly, a little at a time, going through my thread about Crossing my Red Rangers and posting what i have posted there. Its the only place where I kept any information with the pictures. I also came up with the thought that maybe we can comb through old threads where people already posted their carcass pictures and information and then pass it on to one central thread. Also when that is completed someone could volunteer to pit all of them into one post so people can look them up without going through a bunch of pages

Great idea! We should throw in a disclaimer here that if you post pictures here they will probably be used in an article, just so as everyone who posts is aware.

Wow, thanks for posting the pics, this should be a good thread to post them so people can reference them.
As you can tell already, a lot depends on the feed and the style the raiser uses. A bird confined to a tractor with a feeder might be completely different. A different cross could be completely different. Some strains of Rocks are bred for meet, others for looks, so you might get different weights for the same breed. I like the photos of the year-old birds raised on range and layer pellets, that is what a lot of readers here might be able to do. Pure breeds are not as meaty as the crosses, as the readers of compostking's thread could surmise.

While true that feed/environmental differences will play a part a database of carcasses would still be beneficial when picking out a breed as far as White meat to Dark meat ratio. I can tell by the Dark Cornish picture that the build of that bird regardless of size is much different than the build of an Orpington. It would be nice if a data base of carcass pictures came with environmental factors including which feed was used, Penned or free ranged, or Tractored Etc. Might be dreaming too big on that. from now on I am going to post my Carcass pictures here to help contribute to this.

While true that feed/environmental differences will play a part a database of carcasses would still be beneficial when picking out a breed as far as White meat to Dark meat ratio. I can tell by the Dark Cornish picture that the build of that bird regardless of size is much different than the build of an Orpington. It would be nice if a data base of carcass pictures came with environmental factors including which feed was used, Penned or free ranged, or Tractored Etc. Might be dreaming too big on that. from now on I am going to post my Carcass pictures here to help contribute to this.
Do not get me wrong, I like the idea! I like the way the posted photos above included how the bird was raised. But some info is a lot better than none for new folks who would like to eat home-grown chicken. I like to eat home grown chicken, have raised some, and want to do it again!

Do not get me wrong, I like the idea! I like the way the posted photos above included how the bird was raised. But some info is a lot better than none for new folks who would like to eat home-grown chicken. I like to eat home grown chicken, have raised some, and want to do it again!

I have actually seen articles with different birds dressed out and one time even cooked whole. It was nice to see but it was just a few common breeds. These were usually in a controlled setting where all the birds went through the same process from hatch to dressing out. Same feed etc. Since no one is going to have 1 of every breed at the same time I love this idea. It may take a long time to actually have something put together and at least one very organized person would need to assemble it. Who knows how far this will go.

I have actually seen articles with different birds dressed out and one time even cooked whole. It was nice to see but it was just a few common breeds. These were usually in a controlled setting where all the birds went through the same process from hatch to dressing out. Same feed etc. Since no one is going to have 1 of every breed at the same time I love this idea. It may take a long time to actually have something put together and at least one very organized person would need to assemble it. Who knows how far this will go.
Complete agreement here. Each hatch is different. If enough of us backyard raisers could each contribute here, it could be very valuable to all of us. The info available on the meat birds is geared towards the pros, not us. Most of us can not control the lighting and the feed the way the cornish-x are bred to have. I raise parrots, and I kept the Cornish-X alive, but some can not. In my new mile-high home in Prescott, AZ those birds might not do so well. Traditional breeds are much easier to raise, but with lower feed conversion. Here, you are looking for the best of both worlds, and I am very interested to see everyone's results!

Back
Top Bottom