Dried, dirty feathers under tail - advice?

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
This morning I noticed that one of our hens, Orloff, had poop stuck to the feathers under her tail/vent area. Her vent doesn't seem to be blocked, and it does not bother her (I will say, however, that I have not been keeping very close track of her). She made what seemed to me a rather large excrement earlier today, but that is all that I have seen. Does anyone have recommendations on how to approach this problem? I have attached several pictures below from this morning (it has dried significantly since then).

Attachments

• IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6557.JPG
    IMG_6557.JPG
    515.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6554.JPG
    IMG_6554.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 8
Thank you, I will see about trying to give her a bath tomorrow. Out of curiosity, why would this happen in the first place? It hasn't been a problem in the past.

I've honestly never seen a hen with a bottom this dirty! Have you dewormed your flock recently? It could possibly be worms
That's not true, a myth. I can assure you of that.

@orloffer There are other causes; vent gleet, warm or hot temps causing birds to drink alot of water, watermelon, coccidiosis, ecoli, improper diet. If there is a very foul odor, it's vent gleet. Hopefully fly strike hasnt occurred.

Also, do not trim back feathers and fluff too much. Urates in feces will scald the skin causing redness, irritation and possible swelling.

Wash her butt off with the garden hose using a sprayer. Pat dry her rear end with an old rag and release her.

Thank you for the advice, @dawg53
They have been drinking more water than usual lately, as it gets rather warm in the afternoons. Also they have had their fair share of watermelon rind pieces over the last couple of weeks, so both of those causes seem reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom