Dried sack on week old chick that I can't get off at all, need help.

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I had some chicks hatch out last week and one was having a hard time getting out of its shell. We decided to help it out some. It got out of the egg and dried off in the incubator. When we took it out there was a large dark red ball around where the yolk sack is. I tried to give it a bath to get it off once we knew it could handle a bath. I've given it about four baths so far. I've had to give baths to pasty butt chicks before and did the same thing as I did with them. I fill a bowl with warm water, soak a paper towel, and put the chick in the water. The water only comes up to its butt. I then start to massage the area with the paper towel till it comes off and then hair dry the chick. Well with this red ball I can't get it off and it is as hard as a rock. It is touching about a dime to a nickel sized spot on the under side of the chick. The ball is oval shaped and looks like it might be awkward to lay on. The other chicks are about double the size and were hatched the same day. The chick eats, drinks, and poops but looks the same size as it did when it hatched. I'm wanting to get that red ball off without hurting the chick and so it doesn't pull the feathers/skin when the chick grows. Anyone have any ideas?

Please stop giving the chick so many baths /getting it wet as young chicks will chill very easily and this will cause more problems.
Do you have a photo ? without one it is very difficult for me to visualize what you are describing
idunno.gif

You might try dabbing a little Neosporin on the ball every hour or two until it softens up enough that it can be safely pulled off or trimmed carefully off using fingernail clippers or scissors to trim away edges where you are sure there is no live flesh that would be injured.
I had one chick I ended up bathing a little 3 times (and yes, it was hard to keep chick from chilling) while young because he got sugar water on him & his fluff ended up all stiff. He became my "water baby" who as a grown-up loved to be rubbed, and would run over to dip his beak in any water I was pouring.
Best wishes!

Last edited:
I wouldn't do anything until you post a pic for dlhunicorn to look at! It sounds like it may not be what you think it is... possibly you are trying to remove part of the chick!?????? I dunno.... but it sounds odd.

Last edited:
I think that it is part of the sack that was around the chick in the shell that dried there when the chick was in the incubator. When we helped it out some the yolk was all asborbed. I'll get a picture tomorrow so I don't wake everyone up. I checked and the chick hatched out on the 10th. It reminds me of a big dried blood clot. This last bath I gave her was with only a wet paper towel since she had poop on it. Wanted to make sure she could poop. I did read about using olive oil to avoid the pasty butt that I will try. I've been using a hair dryer till she is dried. Not sure what else to do.

Is there anything that I could look up online that it might be till I can get some pictures?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom