DRINKER CUP VS DRINKER NIPPLE?

Free Rrange Farmer

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Hey, I have been planning to install an automatic watering system in my coop but I don't know what to go with.
Drinker Cup- I think that this is better because the chickens can hit the nipple and the cup fills up then they can drink it although they are quite pricey in Australia
1593165585060.png

Drinker Nipple- I'm not sure if these are good because I'm confused with how the chicken will get the water won't it just fall off of the nipple and even if they do get the water it wouldn't be much right? These are way cheaper than the cups but are they bad quality?
1593165491523.png

If you have any experience with any of these waterers please help me...

I just put my chickens on horizontal nipples in a 5 gallon bucket. They are all between 5-8 weeks old and took to learning it in an hour. I purchased the rent a coop nipples from amazon for $10 US per 6. They work great. The chicken pecks at the nipple with their beak and it releases a bit of water. Their mouths are open and the water goes right in. There is no waste, no waterer to keep constantly cleaning, and it gives me a good option to be able to heat the bucket in the winter (we get harsh winters). So for me it’s a win win! I love the horizontal nipples and so do my chickens!

I just put my chickens on horizontal nipples in a 5 gallon bucket. They are all between 5-8 weeks old and took to learning it in an hour. I purchased the rent a coop nipples from amazon for $10 US per 6. They work great. The chicken pecks at the nipple with their beak and it releases a bit of water. Their mouths are open and the water goes right in. There is no waste, no waterer to keep constantly cleaning, and it gives me a good option to be able to heat the bucket in the winter (we get harsh winters). So for me it’s a win win! I love the horizontal nipples and so do my chickens!
Was wondering if your setup was cold weather friendly and it sounds like it is! Do you have any issue with the nipples freezing?

Was wondering if your setup was cold weather friendly and it sounds like it is! Do you have any issue with the nipples freezing?
I have a 2 gallon bucket from TSC, two nipples. I put the bucket inside the coop in the winter and add a fish tank heater, it was plugged into a cube so it only came on when Temps were low. Worked great to keep water from freezing.

I have a 2 gallon bucket from TSC, two nipples. I put the bucket inside the coop in the winter and add a fish tank heater, it was plugged into a cube so it only came on when Temps were low. Worked great to keep water from freezing.
Thanks for sharing. How many are in your flock? I have six so I wonder if 2 nipples would be sufficient? I'm trying to prepare for my winter water setup. Summer has been easier because they free range a lot and just use the waterers I have around my yard. Do you happen to have any pictures of your winter water setup?

Thanks for sharing. How many are in your flock? I have six so I wonder if 2 nipples would be sufficient? I'm trying to prepare for my winter water setup. Summer has been easier because they free range a lot and just use the waterers I have around my yard. Do you happen to have any pictures of your winter water setup?
I have 14 right now with 5 more chicks in the brooder... i havent seen any issues with the two nipples.

Back
Top Bottom