Droopy chicken stood like penguin PLZ HELP

Thanks. I'll have to check in the morning because her crop didn't feel particularly squishy or enlarged, but with the vomiting I assume it could be an onset of sour crop. I'm mainly worried about treating her for the wrong thing, for example will giving the miconazole be bad if she doesn't have sour crop?
(I'm a huge worrier especially about my animals so I really like to know what I'm dealing with first!)
Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming you're right but of course I'm desperate to try as much as I can, just want to be treating for the right issues... What were your best methods of keeping the hens with this issue comfortable?
Fortunately she's not picked on at all by the others, but all she did today was stand with her eyes shut and tail down. I'm also a veggie (never eaten meat, prefer animals to humans like I'm sure most people here would agree with 😁 ) so if she goes, she'll be buried with a sapling planted above her. But I can definitely understand people doing this for future diagnosis.
You could start with a little coconut as suggested. I do. I have also used anti-fungal/yeast medication to treat sour crop per the article. Sometimes if I catch it early and the hen is not in too bad of shape yet, they can pull through for a while. Unfortunately, sometimes they don't respond and I put them out of their misery.
It's up to you to decide if you want to treat her or not. I understand your worry and caution.
As for making her comfortable. As I mentioned in Post#4 I leave mine with the flock, they decide where they want to station themselves. I do provide extra straw/bedding for them to settle in at night. When they get to the point they can't roost, IME, their time is getting short. During the day, make sure they are able to get to water and food - but if she's got crop issues she may not eat much, but she does need to drink.

Hi. Thought I'd update you guys, the poor girl is laying down in shed this morning with her eyes shut, won't open them and just twitching every now and then likes she's dreaming...I'm heartbroken every time I lose a bird and always wish I did more. Now to decide whether to leave her to pass or get a friend to come and put her out of misery, as she seems like she's almost there. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_094758_978.jpg
    IMG_20210122_094758_978.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 4
Hi. Thought I'd update you guys, the poor girl is laying down in shed this morning with her eyes shut, won't open them and just twitching every now and then likes she's dreaming...I'm heartbroken every time I lose a bird and always wish I did more. Now to decide whether to leave her to pass or get a friend to come and put her out of misery, as she seems like she's almost there. :(
:hugs I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom