Droopy Comb and Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NHChickengirl, Apr 25, 2014.

1. NHChickengirl

NHChickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    I have a 1 yr old White Leghorn Hen that stopped laying a week or so ago. I thought she was Broody because of the NH weather changes. Then her Comb got droopy and she had greenish poop stuck to her butt. I washed it all off twice now and she wasn't clogged up. No lumps in her throat / crop either. Last night she returned to the coop after a day foraging and just laid down on the floor and wouldn't roost with the rest of the girls. This morning
    I quarantined her after washing off her butt again. She is very lethargic and skinny. I offered her yogurt and electrolyte in her water but she is just laying on the floor of her cage. I had to go to work but didn't want the rest of the girls to peck her so I moved her to her own space. Should a force feed her tonight when I get home to make sure she is getting fluids? Help this is my first ever sick chicken.. Thanks

2. Mercilless

Mercilless Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Maybe she ate something else that is poisonous, or a sudden weather change in your place that affect her body,

Maybe you should try to visit your nearest poultry farm supply for meds/antibiotics regards the symptoms of your chicken

And lastly separate her from the others.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Hope you have been able to find help in the Emergencies section for your hen.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. bozyboo

bozyboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    so, what happened with your lethargic hen with green poo and droopy comb? 1 of my 5 backyard birds has had same issue for 3 days

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    This is an old thread and thread starter has not been back.

The best advice I can give you is to post in detail at the "emergencies,diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Your hen may not have what the other one did at all. Birds can worsen rapidly, it's not good to wait.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by