Droopy new chickens, advice on treatments?

Ok, I finally got my hands in a syringe and gave her a tablespoon of the corrid water. I'll give her more in a bit.

Her breathing sounds snotty again... like rattling in her nose. It actually sounds exactly like snoring, but happens both awake and asleep. I have a video of it, if that would help?

The roo is very improved.

Last edited:
I just finished feeding her some oatmeal sludge. Between the syringe, a baby spoon, and various parts of my hand, she ate about two tablespoons, or less. It was hard to gauge. After a few minutes she ate on her own from little dabs on the back of my hand.

Her beak and feet feel hot, but I'm not sure if I'm imaging that or not. She keeps going under the heat lamp despite gorgeous weather today, so I'm glad I left it on.

The oatmeal sludge is about 40% water, but I'll go out in a little bit for more from the syringe. During feeding on my lap, she was showing signs of stress. I actually consider that an improvement because she's not a lap bird.

Still making snoring sounds this morning, not interested in eating but very alert. I forgot to turn the heat lamp back on and it was in the 40s last night, so I was pretty worried this morning. I've heard her cough twice. She's more active and is acting interested in food and water on her own. Visits from her sisters really help.

Found another milky poop on the porch. Not sure who it's from, or what it means. The rooster's is still watery and bright green, like fresh grass.

You might want to treat her with some antibiotic's. Chickens develop pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections very easily when they have some type of respiratory disease going on. You won't cure whatever she has but it will help prevent those complications while she gets over it. Any other birds she's in contact with may well come down with it as well in the coming week or so. And, depending on what it is, it is very likely to come back off and on as long as you have these birds.

You might want to treat her with some antibiotic's.  Chickens develop pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections very easily when they have some type of respiratory disease going on.  You won't cure whatever she has but it will help prevent those complications while she gets over it.  Any other birds she's in contact with may well come down with it as well in the coming week or so.  And, depending on what it is, it is very likely to come back off and on as long as you have these birds.

Thanks. I'm going to the feed store tomorrow to hopefully pick up some tylan. I've got her back in the hospital with one of her sisters who is occasionally coughing and sneezing. I sprayed their vents with pyrethrin because they were just absolutely infested with lice. I'm hoping to get everyone else sprayed by the weekend.

Last edited:
Ok. I've read a bit more and the new plan is:

- continue with corid.
- treat with tylan for respiratory issues.
- worm
- continue treating/monitoring lice.

I think that the lice caused anemia, which gave the cocci a foot in the door, and the respiratory hopped along for the ride.

I'll update in a few days with results.

Hen has made a full recovery! Active, energetic, eating and drinking on her own.

I never treated with tylan because our feed store doesn't carry it. The day after I sprayed for lice there was a HUGE improvement. I believe the lice infestation was the root of the problem, and anemia weakened her immune system and made way for the cocci. I'm sure the coughing and sneezing was secondary.

The rooster has since developed white patches on this comb and wattles, which I think is dry pox. I'll keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom