Drowning in eggs!!! ~~~~Picture Added~~~~

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I have 6 dozen in the refrigerator right now and I can hear the girls cackling from the hen house which just means by the end of the day I'll have 7 dozen (or more). I'm getting usually 14-16 eggs a day. I'm going to town today to buy a cheap plastic sign to put out by the road to advertise that I'm selling eggs.

At the grocery store you can buy a dozen eggs for $1.99. Since mine are cage free and "freely roaming" a 40'x50' chicken yard with grass and bugs then I should be able to get more than $2.00 a dozen, right? They are still pullet eggs and are weighing in as mediums on my egg scale though. What should I charge???

NOTE: Where I live I can sell eggs with no problem as long as I sell it off of my land.

EDITED TO ADD PICTURE:
Have you ever wanted to see 73 eggs??? Here you go!
DSC00551.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the man across the street from me sells his for $2 maybe even $3 a dozen. I'm glad yours are in the fridge. He leaves his out and I don't fully trust the freshness. I have my own hens now and I only leave eggs on the counter for a week and only if I'm planning to boil them. They peel much better that way. GET THAT EGGS~4~SALE SIGN OUT ASAP!
BTW... can you send your chicken stew buddy my way? Maybe she's a chicken whisperer and can get my girls started! lol! Lynn

I charge $2.50 a dozen. I noticed the other day in the grocery sore that "free ranging eggs" were like $3.89 a dozen,,,maybe I should raise the price! By the way, I make no money on it at all, it might buy a bag of grain here and there. I need more eggs!

hi there. my friend who sells here in Ohio gets $2-$2.50/doz. he is in a rural area, in columbus at the grocery the cage free brown eggs go for $3.50/doz.

hope that helps.

i bought 200 egg cartons on Saturday when i picked up my 5 new pullets.... now if i could just get more eggs to fill them!
lol.png
saturday i got 7 eggs, only 2 yesterday. out of 26 hens i should have more. i bought labels to try and stick them on my cartons.

Thats alot of EGGS. I just got my 3rd egg last night LOL. I think its still the same girl laying. I am pretty sure now that its a Buff Orp. as she was loud in in and out right before i found it. Now the anticipation of my first 'colored' egg.

Wendy

That is a lot of eggs! Wow.

Even if my girls do end up producing a bunch of eggs, I'm surrounded by Amish and other country folk who are already selling eggs. I'd hate to take business away!

I'm going to keep a jar with the egg money in it. Then when I go to the feed store I'll buy everything with the egg money. It's kinda like my girls are paying there own way with their eggs. The jar is the chicken savings account and when they need feed or anything else I'll withdraw from their account.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom