Drowning in eggs!!! ~~~~Picture Added~~~~

Quote:
23 pullets and they're 23 weeks old. I can't keep track of which ones are laying. I know for a fact that Blind Tiny hasn't laid one yet because she lives alone. Her wattles have grown over night and her comb is bigger and redder now so she'll lay her first any day now. I'll have to hand feed her her favorite treat when she does lay...watermelon. I walk out of her pen with pecks all over my hands when I feed her watermelon, she can't see it of course and pecks at anything in reach...like my hand.

Last edited:
The final egg count for today was 15 eggs.
th.gif

Thankfully my brother came over and got a dozen and a half.

Quote:
23 pullets and they're 23 weeks old. I can't keep track of which ones are laying. I know for a fact that Blind Tiny hasn't laid one yet because she lives alone. Her wattles have grown over night and her comb is bigger and redder now so she'll lay her first any day now. I'll have to hand feed her her favorite treat when she does lay...watermelon. I walk out of her pen with pecks all over my hands when I feed her watermelon, she can't see it of course and pecks at anything in reach...like my hand.

Does Blind Tina live like right next door to the other chickens? I was wondering if she is like near enough to the others that she can smell, and hear them. Are they just separated by a little fence or something?
Oh and congrats on all the eggs.

Last edited:
I remember not so very long ago you were lamenting that you couldn't wait for eggs!!!
lau.gif

I sell mine for $2/doz. The free-range eggs in the stores are twice that much, but there are lots of people in my area that sell eggs, so that's the going rate. I do the same thing with egg money. They are "working girls" and have been supporting themselves for some time.

BTW, I had to take my sign down because when people knew I had eggs I developed a clientele of "regulars". They just stop by now. One man buys 5 dozen at a time. He must eat more eggs than I do!!!
roll.png

A thought just occured to me... I know the amount of daylight effects egg production, and tiny is blind and can't see the light, will this effect her laying?
idunno.gif

Quote:
No, it won't. A chicken absorbs the light through her pituitary gland, so she could be sleeping with her eyes closed and the light will still affect her rate of lay.

i bet you could call them free range. in egg farms, free range only means given access to outside. doesnt mean they have gone outside, nor seen it, just given access. also, 5 minutes a day could be called free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom