Dry Hatching Cortunix Quails

For me, 40-50% for incubation and 50-60% for lockdown/hatching. JMF recommends 50% and then 60%, so that is from what most people consider the authorities on quail.

Funny how everyone agrees on temp but not on humidity! There are some interesting discussions on the hatching forums about measuring humidity under broody hens etc. This is how we geek out.
I know! It’s crazy how much it varies! I think I’m going to try your way and experiment out from there.

If it's a tabletop wrap it in a towel or blanket.

Just make sure not to cover vent holes.
This trick also helps keep humidity levels from changing too much if you have to take a chick out before they are all done hatching. I just drape a blanket over the incubator and my arm, sometimes my whole head, haha, and then sneak my arm into the incubator lifting the lid as little as possible for the briefest possible time.

wow got a pic of it. id hate to have to manually turn eggs myself. My incubator auto turns every 2 hours. i suppose i can fit alot more eggs if i manually turn or install a quail egg tray inside.
Here's the pic of mine right now, it looks a little crazy inside and out since I used a box to make it then lined it with insulating foam, (I forget what it's called right now) then I made a frame inside with screen for the eggs to be on, hovering above trays I put under the wire for water. When it's not crammed so full of eggs I put water bottles on the sides inside to insulate in case of temp fluxuations. I have to admit the whole thing is rather rednecky, but it works quite well. I've hatched about 40 eggs in it this year. I admit I lost a good dozen eggs when I wasn't home enough while one batch was going, that's another story though. Aside from the two accident's I've had in it I am getting about a 75 percent hatch rate and I know why it's not better, I have alot of issue with temp fluxuations because where I live the days have been between 95 to 105 yet the nights get down to 55. That's the desert for you. Even inside in my laundry room where I keep the incubator it fluxuates alot.
My issue where I am is its so very hot I have to have the vents open quite a bit to keep it cool enough, even with only a 15 watt bulb, quite high above the eggs, and it is really hard to get the humidity above 30 percent, that's what started me looking into if it was possible to incubate at lower humidities. I always have a hard time getting the humidity heightened during lockdown. Sorry for the long spill
20180711_011227.jpg
20180711_011234.jpg
20180711_011248.jpg
the carton in the center is to add extra water during lockdown and to keep the eggs from rolling into the center where it's too hot.
Also it only takes me about 5 or 7 maybe, minutes to roll all the eggs. I do it at least 3 to 5 times a day depending on how much I'm at home I might go up to 7.
If you noticed the up to 53 percent humidity it's not accurate I had it by the water for a few min and it spiked it up. It's been keeping to around 30 percent this time.

Back
Top Bottom