dry incubating HELP!

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
Hi all,
I've read the Bill Worrel piece on dry incubating backwards, forwards, and sideways... and I am still stressing out over this dry incubating thing!

I did what I wasn't supposed to, and checked the humidity in the bator before day 7. (It's just day 1 for some of the eggs, and day 2 for the others.)

The humidity in the room is 50%, which is what it's supposed to be. The humidity in the foam bator (a Genesis 1588) is a mere 25 or 26%! I know I'm dry incubating here, but that seems REALLY low.

Is this right? What's the ideal humidity INSIDE the bator? I can't seem to find that info for large fowl in the Worrel writing... he talks about banties being at 40%... What am I shooting for for large fowl?

Should I go ahead and add a teensy bit of water, like he says to do on day 7? Or leave them really dry for a whole week (yipes)?

a worried first-time hatcher,
farmergal

PS -- When I added a half-trough of water as a trial (i.e., half the recommended trough, which is only half of the bator bottom), the bator humidity shot up to 80%. This bator seems SO sensitive.

I'm not sure of the 'right' way to do it, but I kept mine at at least 35% the whole time, usually closer to 40 or 45. All I've done have been bantams though. I would add some water, as 25 is the lowest of the low that other people let it get.

any time your humidity is down to twenty five add a couple teapoons full of water then wait and see how high it comes up takes a little while. With dry I bring it up to forty or high thirties and then let it go down to twenty five then do it again and so forth until the last three days. your plugs should be out at this time.;

In Worrel's article it says if the humidity gets at 25 or below you can add a teaspoon of water to bring up a bit. Red plugs need to be out. He also says to candle on day 7 then close up until day 14 and candle again paying close attention to the air sac each time If the air sac is to large add just a teaspoon or so of water. If its no larger than when you started then you need to decrease Hum. After you candle them close up and leave until day 18 when you add a little water wanting hum to be a little above 65%.

Close and do not open for 5 days.

My hum was at 26 and I added one teaspoon of water and in 1 1/2 hours it was at 35. It does take awhile to come up so be patient or you will put in to much and have to high of Hum.
I feel like its to hard to bring it down if you get it to high. Add tiny amount and wait.
That's how I am doing it.
tongue.png
wink.png
jumpy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
you are doing it right chicken woman great going. Thirty five is good and you are right add just a little at a time. It does take a while for the water to heat and be absorbed by the air. If you add warm water it will come up a little faster

Quote:
Ok........I'm doing this too right now on a hatch and when you say "close up" do you mean the red plugs or????

Thanks so much for the help........your directions are awesome!

When I say close up I mean the bator. Keep those red plugs out !

Don't worry they will be fine !!! We are such mother hens aren't we !!!!

How do those hens do it without us?
gig.gif

I will never know !!!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Good luck and hang in there !!!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom