Duane Urch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave Duane a call just now for an update on my order coming soon.. So far a lot of his breeds are sold out or not laying well. I asked him if his red NN were laying good he said yes
celebrate.gif

For my 2nd breed of choice/backup it was a black Jersey Giants he said they are laying like crap and warned me for a 3rd breed. After naming a few breeds and he said "sold out" I said "how about Black Australorps" I figure they get huge and look like black giants he said "there're laying fine", so that's my other choice. He tried to get me to buy/pick buckeyes (I guess they're laying good) I said "no thanks". So if you're looking for buckeyes Duane is your man.

His Buckeyes are awesome. You should re-think that decision!
lol.png

His Buckeyes are awesome. You should re-think that decision!
lol.png
Laura, I'm going to pay devils advocate. If Mr. Urch's buckeyes are so awesome and he has had them for nearly 50 years or more.....why hasn't he done ANYTHING with them? He is a Hall of Fame exhibitor and master exhibitor in about MANY breeds....I think he raises over 100 breeds..that in itself is a chore...but has never had any success with a Buckeye. If that is the case, why are they awesome? Just curious!?!?!?! From what I've seen, they are lacking the necessary size required in the standard.

His Buckeyes do have adequate size, you must remember Duane is a breeder first and a shower 2nd. He doesn't push his breeder birds like you would show birds because that decreases their egg productivity. Also I believe when she was saying they are pretty awesome that means they are pretty good birds. She didn't say they are grand champion birds.

His Buckeyes do have adequate size, you must remember Duane is a breeder first and a shower 2nd. He doesn't push his breeder birds like you would show birds because that decreases their egg productivity. Also I believe when she was saying they are pretty awesome that means they are pretty good birds. She didn't say they are grand champion birds.

So the "awesome" quality of the Buckeyes is that they are "adequate size"?

And what do you mean that pushing his show birds would decrease their egg productivity?

Quote: he's in it to hatch as many birds as possible...

when you're taking birds to shows, etc, if you want to maintain your bio-security, you keep those birds separated from the rest of the flock as long as you're planning on showing that bird, and for a certain time period once they're done, as a quarantine to make sure they didn't bring home any diseases. also, travel tends to disrupt a hen's laying cycle somewhat.

so if you're showing your best hens, they're not in a position to be giving you eggs regularly, and may not even be with the right (or any?) roo either.

Last edited:

Sorry. I don't recall seeing his name behind any Buckeye winners in the Poultry Press. Maybe I missed seeing his best birds. He was at the ON this year. Saw him. Don't recall seeing him on Championship row. There was a little girl with a Buckeye, and although she was about as tall as Duane, that's where the resemblance ended.

Blueface's question still stands. What makes his birds "awesome"?

I think everybody should just stop with the whole "Duane's birds aren't really that great." Honestly, if you had over 100 breeds of birds to maintain, hatch, and fill orders while maintaining better than hatchery quality birds yours wouldn't be perfect either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom