Duane Urch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do I get off? At the 2012 Ohio National. Duane was there judging. Don't recall any of his Buckeyes getting awards. If they did, please correct me.
if somebody's judging, it's typically considered unethical to show (and judge) your own birds...

Last edited:
I actually already answered this once, but I will do so again, because I am the one who used the word awesome in the first place.

I think Mr. Urch's Buckeyes are awesome especially in respect to their color. This is a trait that some people, Joe (Blueface3) and his cronies in particular, have focused on of late to the exclusion of everything else!

Urch birds have the dark red color they love to tout in their own birds. They keep their color after molting, which some lines of Buckeyes do not. That is one of the main reasons why I say they are awesome. Clear enough for you?

Last edited:
The comments about a man who now is past the age when most keep poultry or judge is unbelievable. Any person who has earned Master Breeder status and kept any variety from fading from existance does not deserve ANY of this BS. They have earned respect that some will never give. Don't like what you see then don't buy it but bad mouthing has to stop. I have seen birds purchased as chicks from Duane at shows over the last year. They were at least decent representations of the breeds and better than what some so called breeders raise.

Craig

NYREDS,

Do you know who Blueface3 is?

rick

Oh please. If you have to ask, then it's obvious that it doesn't matter.
lau.gif

Urch Buckeyes Awesome because:
Grow fast with few disqualifications
Lay well
4-Hers can show them as breeding birds, layers, pullets, or fryers
Color really good
Fertility is decent, which is/can be a major problem in any breed that is extreme

All those are from my experiences with his buckeyes. Now how many of those traits are considered shows when the champion Buckeye is chosen? I don't see why he has to be winning with his buckeyes for them to be awesome. They match breed type and do other things well. That makes them a great starting base and if you want to chase the ribbons and give up on some egg production or fertility go right ahead.

Last edited:
Urch Buckeyes Awesome because:
Grow fast with few disqualifications
Lay well
4-Hers can show them as breeding birds, layers, pullets, or fryers
Color really good
Fertility is decent, which is can be a major problem in any breed that is extreme

All those are from my experiences with his buckeyes. Now how many of those traits are considered shows when the champion Buckeye is chosen? I don't see why he has to be winning with his buckeyes for them to be awesome. They match breed type and do other things well. That makes them a great starting base and if you want to chase the ribbons and give up on some egg production or fertility go right ahead.
Finally. Someone answers the question.

I also like the presumption at the ending that one mus sacrifice egg production or fertility in order to have show winners. I'm not sure you'll find many who agree with that sentiment over at the Heritage Large Fowl thread.

But thanks for at least answering the question in a little more depth than just the color.

How many of the Giant Cochin and Orp people brag about 200+ eggs a year? No doubt that some breeds are more fertile than others but you definitely start to have some issues with fertility when breeds get over a certain size and/or shape.

Another reason for the "awesome" comment:
Few other people can hatch as reliably or as long as Duane.
He also has a number of backup breeds in case he has Buckeye issues, but that doesn't contribute to their "awesomeness"

NYREDS,

Do you know who Blueface3 is?

rick

A. Don't know

B. Don't care

What I do know is that Duane Urch is a great breeder & Judge who has contributed more to the fancy than he, or you, or I for that matter. He's a class act that would never stoop to badmouthing someone on a website. He certainly doesn't deserve the unwarranted attacks he's received here. Thay've been petty & demeaning more to the poster than to Duane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom