Dubbing

so it is the younger the better, so you would not dub a full grown chicken then?with a big comb a big waddles right?

Rhayden

Quote:
Best bet for dubbing, I often do this alone.

get a small bucket fill with ice, then top off with water allow it to set 5 minutes.
Wrap the bird in a hand towel feet extended out the back and wings held firmly to the sides. exposing only the head and neck.
Dip the birds comb in the ice watter hold for about 30-45 seconds, the bird will naturally restrict blood flow to the cold comb.
Hold the head still by grasping the base of teh comb between your thumb and forefinger. hold tightly to restrict blood flow to teh comb and control the head, Trim wattles and earlobes, rinse head and neck in ice water, dip comb in the ice water again for 30 seconds, the comb will be nearly white at this point as there is little to no blood in the comb. Trim the comb at this point, dip in ice water to rinse any blood off set the bird down and start with the next one. no additional treatment has ever been needed when I have them this way.

Interesting. I've never heard of this technique, but I'm going to try it this next year with any male Modern chicks we raise.

He and a few others taught me this. Works great.

I've got some pics. Let me work on getting them. Just a second.
6236_010.jpg
6236_007.jpg

There big so you can get a real good look.

Last edited:
Most ppl wait until the main sickles and tail have finished growing. Thats usually about 7 to 9 months old. Also trim them about 6 weeks before the show to complete the healing. You can see the line on the black cockerel. Its just used as a guide. Some ppl like it closer to the head and some like to leave more.

Quote:
i think you would want the comb and wattles to be fully grown before dubbing them

Yes, you want the bird finished out well. if you will wait till 8 - 9 months when the tail sickles and Primaries are complete rather than still molting in it really does help. As when teh tail is molting you can stress them and prevent proper feather growth or stress marks.
You need to be certian to fully remove the earlobe and wattles. if it is only as a breeder male leave the earlobes to insure that no positive white develops, for female line breeders I like to wait till the first winter to insure how large the comb gets and how many points it has as this will affect the resulting pullets and I like a small tight fitting comb. Standard calls for 5 points and using cock birds with 4-5 wors very well as this is also genetically passed.

Quote:
I can see the line, thanks for the info. It looks like a totally different bird.what a difference.

i have never dubbed before as mine is my first oegb and i am so worried i'm going to do something wrong he he will bleed to death and i dont know anyone around here that dubbes
hmm.png
for clotting can flour be used to help clot the blood?

Back
Top Bottom