D'uccle breeders Database

Pics
This is the rooster that we have. He is this years boy and is fertile as can be!

9241_dave.jpg

#1 of 3 (martha)
9241_martha.jpg

#2 of 3 (Ruth)
9241_ruth.jpg

#3 of 3(Sassy) ~She made it 2 of the 3 rounds of judging. Lost from broken feathers and a bit to old.
9241_sassy.jpg

Some of the angles are not great, but they are such a fun and friendly bunch of birds.

Unfortunately during that hot spell we had, we lost 7 chicks, while 2 survived.
I have a foolish question about one of the chicks, one has toenails growing straight up off the end of the toe. Just odd.

We need to get a Book of Standards of perfection...hate to spend the $.
Thank you all for posting your pictures, I must say that I admire your birds!

Quote:
Welcome! Where is Kelso?

Kelso is located in Southwest Washington State, nearer to Portland, Oregon than Tacoma or Seattle, WA.

I am still in the process of trying to "train myself up" on the colors and the good/bad traits I should be looking for from my birds. I have found this forum to be extremely helpful and am thankful for all the wonderfully knowledgeable people who share their info just for the joy of raising such beautiful and amusing little birds.

I had to scroll through all 12 pages to make sure the wife didn't already post here. We have d'Uccles at Creekside Acres, they are our daughters line from show quality stock. We are in central PA, small town called Mill Hall. Anyone going to the upstate NY chickenstock and Sonew123's will be able to get chicks from us. Currently we have Mille Fleur, however, I've been told that we are getting some other colors as well
hu.gif
. I need to update the website and add pics of this line to it, so bear with me for a day or two. I would be interested in swapping chicks with anyone close, or swapping eggs by mail with any other d'Uccle breeders, as long as the lines are pure, as well as selling chicks and eggs. I know that Acid wants to get porcelain and maybe some mottleds to add to the place, have to get her to chime in if she wants anything else.

I haven't shown my d'uccles, but I know most of them are very typey. I do have 1 pair of mille fluers that are PQ, but the rest are at least BQ if not SQ. Right now I have them all mixed together: 2 pair of porcelains, 1 black mille fluer rooster, and 1 black mottled hen. These are the BQ/SQ ones, then I have the pair of PQ mille fluers and a mille fluer pullet that looks like she is going to be a BQ.

So in all I have 9, PQ trio of regular mille fluer, 2-BQ/SQ pairs of porcelain, 1 BQ/SQ black mille fluer rooster, and 1 BQ/SQ black mottled hen.

Some of the porcelains (lost one of the hens
sad.png
):
DSC00083.jpg

A different porcelain roo with the black mille fluer and mottled
Bambi020.jpg

PQ rooster
DSC00008.jpg

PQ hen
DSC00007.jpg

I don't have a pic of the young pullet, and this one is the only pic I have of the mottled. I'm in KY

well I guess I am really confused... what is mottled? Shelley are you saying the last pix is mottled of yours?I thought that would be mf... that is what my cockrel looks like so is he mottled or mf

Quote:
No, the pic with the black mille fluer and porcelain roosters has a black mottled hen in the bottom left of the pic. Basically you can see her tail and leg I think
tongue.png

2nd pic from top

ETA: Mottled is black (or blue) only with white spots.

Last edited:
Wow, I've got so much to learn. Genetics and I don't mix. I feel pretty foolish about bettering this breed.
Since getting this group of birds, I've heard so many people making comments about working with them and as if its a "past" thing up here in Maine. Then I wonder why hadn't I noticed them...or I was looking at so many other birds that I never noticed.
What brings a bird to "pure bred" other then having off spring that throw SQ? Can you chart a line of birds? I realize these are pretty foolish questions and I mean no disrespect in asking them.
Next question I have...how do YOU pronounce D'uccle? I have heard "D'ookle, D'uockle, D'uclay" ...I've just started calling mine the MF line, everyone seems to understand that!
wink.png

Quote:
Im still figuring all this out, you can learn alot by talking to judges. I guess thinking about it there is no "pure bred" because you can't really trace a chickens lines that well. And think about how manny breeds were created with different breeds. That's why we have the standard of perfection, its what we breed to, in the shows they want a bird that is as close to the description as you can get. How you get there it's up to you. I say "duccle" all three different ways, lol, it depends how much i think before i speek!

Back
Top Bottom