D'uccle breeders Database

Pics
Hello, I'm a newbie at BYC trying to navigate with a slow iPhone until my home pc is fixed so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong thread. I can only research a short bit of time before my freezes and have to shut it down and it's making finding answers a struggle. My questions are regarding D'Uccle's but also any Bantam chicks really. I have 3 day old assorted Bantams from TSC and some types I know a few I'm unsure still. I need to know where I can find a lot of great information about the chicks - adults. I'm very new to owning Bantams and have been interested in a big way a long time so when I saw the second batch of Bantams at TS I got 12 because their first batch I think they had 50 out of 70 to die and I had a brooder ready so I got 12 hoping I could provide them with warm, love and safety. My questions are about the feathered feet. I only have 3 without feathers on their feet and being new to this breed have no idea about cleaning them,if I should,shouldn't and if so how best to go about it. I have handled them as little as possible but I noticed on worrying at his little foot like cray and it had a hard clump of poo stuck to his foot. I reluctantly cleaned it gently with warmed water and dried him keeping him warm. Should I make a practice of checking their feet when I check their little bottoms for pasty butt? Second question is feeding. They are eating the chick starter but I was wondering about other options like veggies,bugs,fruit Ect. I have not raised chicks in eight years but all my babies before I would give small amounts of healthy human foods and use to know a large list of safe healthy choices. Would it be the same for Bantams? I would be grateful for any information, opinions or guidance to finding all that I can learn about Bantams and their care. Thanks so much

Hello, I'm a newbie at BYC trying to navigate with a slow iPhone until my home pc is fixed so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong thread. I can only research a short bit of time before my freezes and have to shut it down and it's making finding answers a struggle. My questions are regarding D'Uccle's but also any Bantam chicks really. I have 3 day old assorted Bantams from TSC and some types I know a few I'm unsure still. I need to know where I can find a lot of great information about the chicks - adults. I'm very new to owning Bantams and have been interested in a big way a long time so when I saw the second batch of Bantams at TS I got 12 because their first batch I think they had 50 out of 70 to die and I had a brooder ready so I got 12 hoping I could provide them with warm, love and safety. My questions are about the feathered feet. I only have 3 without feathers on their feet and being new to this breed have no idea about cleaning them,if I should,shouldn't and if so how best to go about it. I have handled them as little as possible but I noticed on worrying at his little foot like cray and it had a hard clump of poo stuck to his foot. I reluctantly cleaned it gently with warmed water and dried him keeping him warm. Should I make a practice of checking their feet when I check their little bottoms for pasty butt? Second question is feeding. They are eating the chick starter but I was wondering about other options like veggies,bugs,fruit Ect. I have not raised chicks in eight years but all my babies before I would give small amounts of healthy human foods and use to know a large list of safe healthy choices. Would it be the same for Bantams? I would be grateful for any information, opinions or guidance to finding all that I can learn about Bantams and their care. Thanks so much
My D'uccles tend to self clean their foot feathers. That being said, I did have a chick that had a feather wrapped around his leg that caused circulation to be cut off in the leg. While they are young, just make sure everything is normal and healthy looking. As far as handling them, D'uccles are a very personable breed. I would try and handle them more while they are young so they get used to you faster. This will help immensely when they are older. We feed our chickens yogurt and they absolutely fall all over themselves when they see it coming. They LOVE it! We feed table scraps and such too, so I think it would be more than ok to feed them any of the things you mentioned. Also remember that although bantams might be smaller, they can have bigger personalities then their full-size relatives. I would love to see pictures of the little guys!

Tha
My D'uccles tend to self clean their foot feathers. That being said, I did have a chick that had a feather wrapped around his leg that caused circulation to be cut off in the leg. While they are young, just make sure everything is normal and healthy looking. As far as handling them, D'uccles are a very personable breed. I would try and handle them more while they are young so they get used to you faster. This will help immensely when they are older. We feed our chickens yogurt and they absolutely fall all over themselves when they see it coming. They LOVE it! We feed table scraps and such too, so I think it would be more than ok to feed them any of the things you mentioned. Also remember that although bantams might be smaller, they can have bigger personalities then their full-size relatives. I would love to see pictures of the little guys!
Thanks for the reply. I have to say they eager to see me which is about every fifteen minutes (-: they are in a brooder in my bedroom and they convince to interact everything . All spoiled but its so warm in here my hands get sweaty and I don't want them to get damp them chilly. Tried to hold the in a towel but the insist on skin to feather contact. I will sit to until my breaking point bending down into their Bantam bungalow to interact with them. They love when I scratch around pretend to eat with them and when i open my hand who ever is sleeping hopes in to snuggle down sometimes 3 and 4 at a time and they will fuse like crazy at each other if one wants in and can't fit! Sweet melt your heart angels.

Tha
Thanks for the reply. I have to say they eager to see me which is about every fifteen minutes (-: they are in a brooder in my bedroom and they convince to interact everything . All spoiled but its so warm in here my hands get sweaty and I don't want them to get damp them chilly. Tried to hold the in a towel but the insist on skin to feather contact. I will sit to until my breaking point bending down into their Bantam bungalow to interact with them. They love when I scratch around pretend to eat with them and when i open my hand who ever is sleeping hopes in to snuggle down sometimes 3 and 4 at a time and they will fuse like crazy at each other if one wants in and can't fit! Sweet melt your heart angels.
Wow. I just re-read that. Hope you could understand what I meant,
not what I typed. This phone, my eyes and being in a rush really made that reply a jumbled mess! If I can get some pics to up load I will but I think I read that you couldn't from a iPhone 3. I'll look into it or if anyone should know I'd be thankful.

I'm looking for a thread for information about sexing mille fleur d'Uccle. Given you guys are breeders I thought I'd ask here! Yesterday I had 2 mille fleur eggs hatch in my incubator, and both are different colour. I'm thinking I've got a pair? How can I tell a male from a female? They are a day old, I know, no rush in knowing the sex...but given they were so different I wanted to ask! One thing is for sure...they are some friggen cute!! So tiny!
Here they are:

My mamma and her new babies. So cute!

I'm looking for a thread for information about sexing mille fleur d'Uccle. Given you guys are breeders I thought I'd ask here! Yesterday I had 2 mille fleur eggs hatch in my incubator, and both are different colour. I'm thinking I've got a pair? How can I tell a male from a female? They are a day old, I know, no rush in knowing the sex...but given they were so different I wanted to ask! One thing is for sure...they are some friggen cute!! So tiny! Here they are:
When you find it let me know. I could use that information myself. Lol. I can't figure out what they are till they're about 4 weeks. That's when they finally start getting their combs.

Back
Top Bottom