d'Uccle Cult

My 2 d’Uccle chicks I just got today! Millie fleur and Porcelain! :) 452BF6BD-4843-4ECF-960D-83074BBB9C52.jpeg 830F04A2-1818-481D-BCCE-5BD9AF5E7C69.jpeg

I have been wanting to order one of each, too, but I'm afraid they would not do well in upstate NY, near Lake Ontario. I have a dry, sand-based run situated under a covered deck, which I wrap in Marine grade vinyl for winter. So basically, it is dry and draft-free, but it still gets pretty cold-- mostly in the teens to 30's, but dips into the single digits/below zero at times.

There seems to be mixed opinion on how cold hardy d'Uccles are. Some say they need heat in winter, some bring them indoors, some insist they are fine outside in the north east as long as there are no drafts and they stay dry. I know there are people who keep them in Canada & Michigan, supposedly with no troubles. I really want to add a few to my ornamental flock, but I would never wish them to suffer for my enjoyment.

Any thoughts or advice from the cult membership would be appreciated. I plan to wait until spring to get them if they are cold hardy enough to not need special housing in winter.

I have been wanting to order one of each, too, but I'm afraid they would not do well in upstate NY, near Lake Ontario. I have a dry, sand-based run situated under a covered deck, which I wrap in Marine grade vinyl for winter. So basically, it is dry and draft-free, but it still gets pretty cold-- mostly in the teens to 30's, but dips into the single digits/below zero at times.

There seems to be mixed opinion on how cold hardy d'Uccles are. Some say they need heat in winter, some bring them indoors, some insist they are fine outside in the north east as long as there are no drafts and they stay dry. I know there are people who keep them in Canada & Michigan, supposedly with no troubles. I really want to add a few to my ornamental flock, but I would never wish them to suffer for my enjoyment.

Any thoughts or advice from the cult membership would be appreciated. I plan to wait until spring to get them if they are cold hardy enough to not need special housing in winter

Hmm... i certainly don't live in a cold climate (southwest).. but you're mentioning a flock.. so i bet theyd be just fine cuddling up. And they are cuddle bugs, so im sure they would stay warm next to whomever you have in there. I think spring sounds best so you know they've got all their warm feathers ready by winter. I would go for it!!

Andddd remember, they are BELGIAN barbu d'Uccles... and it snows in Belgium!

Thanks for confirming my intuition on this. I have been wanting them for awhile and have a very friendly flock now that I've done some bully purging. I have a huge and snugly English Orpington that would make a great heat source, & my Polish and Silkies are very sweet and cuddly, too. I'm sure they would all snuggle together to stay warm in winter. Yay! Can't wait till spring!!

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me when their porcelain or mille fleur pullets started to lay? I have two girls that are making the egg song but not squatting. The breeder said they were born in April, so they are around 28 weeks old now. I don't think he was lying about their ages because they don't have their mottling as diffusely yet (I heard they get better colored with age)

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me when their porcelain or mille fleur pullets started to lay? I have two girls that are making the egg song but not squatting. The breeder said they were born in April, so they are around 28 weeks old now. I don't think he was lying about their ages because they don't have their mottling as diffusely yet (I heard they get better colored with age)
Mine are other colors and started at 24 weeks.. but.. if they are going into lay as fall arrives, maybe they will just skip laying until spring? But 28 weeks isn't tooo long of a time. Can you post pics?

Mine are other colors and started at 24 weeks.. but.. if they are going into lay as fall arrives, maybe they will just skip laying until spring? But 28 weeks isn't tooo long of a time. Can you post pics?
I live in CA and the weather is getting cold but not COLD, so I don't see them waiting til spring. I will definitely take updated pics tomorrow! Both Aurora (my porcelain) and Maleficent (my mille fleur) are cackling first thing in the the morning and then intermittently throughout the day. They are newer addions to my flock, and are having trouble with bullying from some of the other younger pullets (15 week olds). They are just so meek and mild tempered! Maleficent kinda holds her own but Aurora is too skittish.

Maybe they are stressed out, but I've tried my best to help them integrate like many have posted on byc. They are getting better each day and are fine with most of my flock except for Cruella (mottled cochin bantam) and Isabella (ee bantam). I found one pic of Aurora a couple days ago but need a new one of Maleficent. Hope they lay soon!

Attachments

• 20211015_211817.jpg
    20211015_211817.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 11
I live in CA and the weather is getting cold but not COLD, so I don't see them waiting til spring. I will definitely take updated pics tomorrow! Both Aurora (my porcelain) and Maleficent (my mille fleur) are cackling first thing in the the morning and then intermittently throughout the day. They are newer addions to my flock, and are having trouble with bullying from some of the other younger pullets (15 week olds). They are just so meek and mild tempered! Maleficent kinda holds her own but Aurora is too skittish.

Maybe they are stressed out, but I've tried my best to help them integrate like many have posted on byc. They are getting better each day and are fine with most of my flock except for Cruella (mottled cochin bantam) and Isabella (ee bantam). I found one pic of Aurora a couple days ago but need a new one of Maleficent. Hope they lay soon!
Oh.. i don't think shes 28 weeks.. she looks much younger.. her comb is just barely coming in. Maybe 20ish weeks?

And i think the daylight hours has more of an impact than the temperatures, but i think it's age at the moment. Maybe a late bloomer if you're sure she's older.

Back
Top Bottom