D'uccle Thread

Currently, other than the three D's with my broody, I have only one banty Cochin and she lives with all standards in the old ladies' coop. Shadow has never seen another grown chicken as small as she is so I have no idea how the fireworks will go when she is introduced to her brand new D'Uccle hubby, Beau. So, I can't answer your question, spook.

It's all in who they're raised with, at my house. I don't have cochins, but my d'Uccles almost all get along with silkies because of having been raised with them. But once they're seperated into different pens you have to be patient to re-integrate them if you play musical chickens.

The mille Fluers will not get along with any Bantam Cochins & visa versa. LOL sounds weird, but I only have the 2 mille girls and( back in the fall) I wanted them to be a "flock" for the winter months with my 3 cochin hens & 1 Cochin roo. But today I brought the girls in and made a pen for them out of the wire dog crate and the battle began through the wires, the girls were yanking the feathers from the dingy Cochin when he would go near to peck at them(he is only 4 months old).
I had to end up covering the wire so they could just deal with it, and not seeing each other but they still crow, the 2 cockerels! LOL (it doesn't help with the 24 hour a day with the lights on - for heat)

Have you guys tried to put a mixture of breeds in a "winter" pen? Have you been successful? I love both breeds, but both breeds are strong in attitude! :0)

Quote:
My Duccles have been most aggressive towards other birds i have noticed. Actually my Fredrick tried to pick a fight with my new dutch through the cage, i went out and he had blood all down his face and chest, my dutch was kinda in shock in their cage. Fred is doing fine now.

I don't think mine or more aggressive than any others I've had. They're just territorial. If raised together they get along just fine.
But if I put a d'Uccle from one pen in with a d'Uccle from another pen? Antagonism rears it's ugly head.

When I play musical chickens I usually do it in pairs, so that every bird has a buddy. And I try to do it at night, when I'll be home most of the next day. And I just keep an eye on things until the usual spats settle down. Rarely do I intervene.

I have noticed that my original millies are more tolerant of the project birds than they are the millies I brought in from TX. They are brutal to the new millies! They still pick on the project girls when some are rotated in with them, but not the vicious attacks I watched them do to the TX millies!

Great pics AC... gorgeous little butterscotch lady
love.gif
Heres a pic of one of my girls who is 'similar' but I have no idea what she really is. Her color/pattern is pretty (to me) though
smile.png
At first we thought she was another lavy mottled, that's why the pic is marked. But it's not lavy...she has very pail lemon/cream/milky-tan color coming in very well now. I'll have to take new pics.

WGC, I checked out the post and you may very well be right with the bleeding color. Guess time will tell for sure
smile.png

39809_butter23.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, guys, question here: This was the first day that Nugget and her babies actually got outside for a time, though we had to push the D'Uccles out of the coop.
roll.png
The barred boy and the Delaware were all over the place while the D's were happy to sit inside and wait for mama to come back inside. I noticed that one of the pullets has no dark color in her hackles while Beau and Lizzie are colored similarly. Look at these pics and tell me if JoBeth is a blue MF, or if she just may not have good color-I realize that they change over time, but the difference in their hackles is striking to me.

348_dscn0881.jpg

348_dscn0837.jpg

348_dscn0877.jpg

Quote:
Awww Cynthia, such sweet babies
love.gif
Footfeathers are a dead give away on blue mf's...If her under fluf is blue and the feathers on her feet are blue (and it appears her beak is lighter too) then yes she would be blue. Regardless of color they are very pretty little babies. You and Nugget have done a fine job raising that little trio
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom