D'uccle Thread

Quote:
No, sorry I tried to clarify that in one of my last posts, but I realized it was sounding a bit confusing. My chick is a columbian cochin out of partridge cochin parents.

lol you answered too fast. I ammended my earlier post....

I just find this stuff SOOOOOOOOOOOO fascinating. There's just no enough time and space for all of the trials that would be fun to play with.

I actually do have a big interest in working with the pattern. I like this little guy a lot. Just not sure how to approach it all right now. But I am keeping him as of now.

As to the breeding...not sure. My birds do not have red bleed through, they have the mille gold bleed. In the post of the boy, that cute black little one is what the parents look like. Not sure if the gold and red breed out the same. It is all new to me.

Last edited:
Some of the teen D'uccles I got 2 weeks ago now - I love 'em they are too funny.
smile.png
much friendlier than my older birds i got in January - these guys are a bit skittish but are warming up quick.

57920_milleteens.jpg

57920_milleblackteen.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, good luck with this project. I hope you're able to make some progress with it. Have you ever used Henk's Chicken Calculator? It might be helpful.

Nope never used one...they lie. Hahaha if they were right my project birds would not be the colors they are according to Lori and others. So I am not sure who I will breed him to just yet. But it should be fun.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, good luck with this project. I hope you're able to make some progress with it. Have you ever used Henk's Chicken Calculator? It might be helpful.

Nope never used one...they lie. Hahaha if they were right my project birds would not be the colors they are according to Lori and others. So I am not sure who I will breed him to just yet. But it should be fun.

I think you might find Henk's Calculator something different, it is very accurate. http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

i would recommend starting with the colors of the parent birds so you can see what the potential offspring should come out looking like. that way you also have some background color genes as you choose your breeding colors with each offspring roo/hen color! i do find that an interesting calculator for possible color crossings!

i have a mixed color bantam cochin roo that had mated with a buff brahma and produced a light/columbian colored cochin cross! every time this roo is crossed over a patterned girl the chicks come out looking like the mom's color or a close color pattern! i just wish the cockerels got dad's personality! i think my roo carries the gold gene to be able to produce the different colors!

Quote:
I've found the same thing to hold true regarding to type. Poor quality birds all the way around. Then I hatched 2 more silver columbians and it's an amazing difference, night and day Lori...strange. My blacks are ok with exception to the 2 roos with leakage, solid blues are pretty nice as well. What's your 'odd chick' look like??
EDIT TO ADD: Lori I believe you and CP had some of your 'culls' from these same eggs from my 2nd & 3rd group, correct? They would be the same relation if I'm thinking right.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've found the same thing to hold true regarding to type. Poor quality birds all the way around. Then I hatched 2 more silver columbians and it's an amazing difference, night and day Lori...strange. My blacks are ok with exception to the 2 roos with leakage, solid blues are pretty nice as well. What's your 'odd chick' look like??
EDIT TO ADD: Lori I believe you and CP had some of your 'culls' from these same eggs from my 2nd & 3rd group, correct? They would be the same relation if I'm thinking right.

I need to get some new pics of my birds. I'll go take them after I recover from a teenage sleepover last night...

Yup, I had eggs from yours, but the type was off on my 'silver mille' colored boys as well. I was very disappointed. Granted, I am a perfectionist when it comes to type... But even Speckled Hen could tell the one boy was way off. He went to a new home, loved up some standard girls, and died defending them from something
sad.png

I'm glad yours are improving. Have you changed the genetic recipe?

I currently have way more roosters than I should. I really need to make some decisions and thin the flock a bit more. I was torn between 2 young mf roos, and then one bit the daylights out of me when I was handling him yesterday. He was only locked up with 2 other roos, so I can't say it was in defence of hens. His brother, whom I have always liked better for color (equal in type) is respectful when I get hold of him. It never pays to bite the hand that feeds you....

Back
Top Bottom