D'uccle Thread

Looking good, LH!

I had one that was a silver columbian pattern like your boy. It was also a boy, but grew up with a runner duck shape rather than the nice bull neck and conformation of a d'Uccle. He lives somewhere else now.

I sold the last 2 of my Project gals and a couple of older MF hens to make room for my show keepers.

I was just shocked to see that color pattern. I like him but we will see how he grows out.

Yay for showbirds...how is Tennessee, that handsome boy?

Quote:
Cetawin, what a beautiful little Columbian boy! How interesting, how did you get him, do you know for sure? I got a silver columbian Cochin chick from two Partridge parents. How strange is that?! I am just absolutely fascinated by the genetics of this color. I just can't figure out how I got one from two Partridges.
Anyone got any ideas?
idunno.gif

Nancy

Last edited:
lilcrow, I'm not sure about your babe from partridge parents. But I know that the boy LH got is from the same gene mix as mine was: lav/mf splits. Unfortunately, in my experience the color has been tied to males of poor d'Uccle type.

Quote:
Awwwwww......bummer.............
Have you done any experimenting with the color in d'Uccle? It would be exciting to get columbian d'Uccle. So far....my chick APPEARS to be a pullet, but it's still too early to know. Also the type looks OK at this point, I can tell that it has it's parents face and head, which is a good thing. Of course this is a cochin chick and not a d'Uccle.
Nancy

edited to clarify the breed of my chick

Last edited:
Lilcrow Lori is correct these babies are from her lav mf projects. The first pic posted, the lil black girl with the file bleed through is his sister and she looks Luke the parent birds.

He has poor middle toe feathering and looks pretty good otherwise when he standing and not being goofy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have any desire to experiment with the Columbian color? I have a few chicks from the crossing of my Lavender roo with a splash MF hen. They are black with the red collar and breast. At this point, they have good type, but at what point in the breeding do they fall apart? Is it when you breed two of the black & red birds together or further on in the process?

You have girl d'Uccless with the columbian markings?

edited to add, sorry I just reread that they were black with red collars. That's how my splits looked and the ones I kept have VERY good type. So for me it was when I got the columbians that type began to unravel.

The MF's and Lav's I got from them (by roos of those colors) are very nice. So the decent genes are in there but not expressed as well without a 'true' color parent.

But the split x split babes had about a 25% chance of good type. Pretty sad actually. Even my blue-looking boys have a little red leakage, but I kept them because their type was good. The black girls from the split x split had some with bad leakage but decent body type. I have 2 black girls with no leakage and good type (so far). Out of around 75 chicks I have 4 that I've kept from the split breeding. 2 black, a blue-ish boy with the least red leakage, and a VERY odd little girl that I need to take a photo of and post. She is the ONLY odd girl that survived. All others failed and there were very few oddly colored girls total (4-5). I really thought I'd lose this girl, but she hung in there and made it.

Last edited:
Quote:
No, sorry I tried to clarify that in one of my last posts, but I realized it was sounding a bit confusing. My chick is a columbian cochin out of partridge cochin parents.

Quote:
No, sorry I tried to clarify that in one of my last posts, but I realized it was sounding a bit confusing. My chick is a columbian cochin out of partridge cochin parents.

lol you answered too fast. I ammended my earlier post....

Back
Top Bottom