D'uccle Thread

how do I condition my d'uccles feet feathers? They look just pitiful, taking them to a show.. need tips tricks and any advice. They are black mottleds.

My DH built a little outdoor playpen for my to put my chicks in so they can get some outside time last weekend. It was great weather and everyone had a great time!

100896_downsize.jpg

100896_pu_1.jpg

Quote:
What are you keeping them in? I know that when I put a hen in a flat-bottomed cage that stayed dry (due to all the feed she scattered around), her feet feathers blossomed out after 2 months. Also, a couple I sold some pullets to last year came back and got more this year, said her feet feathers stick out sideways 4 to 5 inches, they keep her on hay. I think with them running around in a big coop or in a yard is how they break.

Also, it has been mentioned that high protein food increasees feather strength.

-Nathan

Quote:
What are you keeping them in? I know that when I put a hen in a flat-bottomed cage that stayed dry (due to all the feed she scattered around), her feet feathers blossomed out after 2 months. Also, a couple I sold some pullets to last year came back and got more this year, said her feet feathers stick out sideways 4 to 5 inches, they keep her on hay. I think with them running around in a big coop or in a yard is how they break.

-Nathan

I also noticed that when mine would run along the side of the chicken wire her foot feathers would rub and catch in it. So maybe smooth walls around the base of the cage/coop she's kept in would help too?

Quote:

-Nathan

I have them on shavings right now. what do you suggest for high protien food? I heard some people use cat food, but I am not sure on that one.

Back
Top Bottom