D'uccle Thread

Most feed stores you can get high protein chicken feed, also called gamebird/showbird conditioner. If yours doesn't have it I'm sure you can order it. I have never gone beyond that for protein supplements.

Quote:
ok. how long does it take to be half way normal feathering? what should I do about the really bad broken ones for the show? I was told to pull the really bad ones before the show.

Quote:
ok. how long does it take to be half way normal feathering? what should I do about the really bad broken ones for the show? I was told to pull the really bad ones before the show.

Makes total sense, new feathers come in, in place of the plucked ones but I wonder if they will come in a different color, like all white...never done it before as those foot feathers are rooted in deep and I'd be afraid of injury. Better feathering should naturally, logically begin showing up after a couple months of new feed as they constantly molt. Mine have never gone through when huge molt like what I have read about.

Hope that helps
wink.png

Quote:

Makes total sense, new feathers come in, in place of the plucked ones but I wonder if they will come in a different color, like all white...never done it before as those foot feathers are rooted in deep and I'd be afraid of injury. Better feathering should naturally, logically begin showing up after a couple months of new feed as they constantly molt. Mine have never gone through when huge molt like what I have read about.

Hope that helps
wink.png

Ya I was afraid that I didn't want to hurt them to badly for pulling those deep feathers. ok thnx

I am not sure if I can post this here exactly but this is an emergency for those of us that like/ love Raw milk.

This is a petition that will end Oct 23.

RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all I just got this petition about raw milk making it legal. Please sign this petition and send it to everyone you know. we need to get this baby going and any other threads anywhere post it. lets get this thing done.

This petition is to make raw milk legal for selling it and buying it.

http://wh.gov/gsp

just got 5 new d'uccles yesterday. they aren't show quality, but i really like there coloring. they all are friendly and i feel they are nice stock for me since i am just starting to breed and sell. right know just for pets and for something colorful to have around, and i'm starting to look for quality. just thought i would show off my latest buy, might not win at a show but they make me happy. have a question, my porcelains feathers are a little rough will a conditioner bring the back? what can i do to have them fill out better?

103649_bantams_030.jpg

103649_bantams_029.jpg

103649_bantams_026.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I am glad you are enjoying your d'uccles! Put them on some nice dry bedding, and give them some oatmeal with a bit of olive oil in it! Then feed them some high protein show bird/game bird conditioner like NatHowe had mentioned as a daily supplement. It might win them over quickly for treats! I actually think your porcelains look pretty good from what angle I can see. Your mille male has a floppy comb, but the mille hen on the bottom right has nice coloring and patterning, you could always breed her to the porcelain who has the nicer comb, for some fun with genetics down the road and see what happens. But right now, just enjoy them, keep them healthy, petted, tame and happy then pick who's got the best personality to breed for later on. I know with bantams, people really focus on the 'show quality' traits, but to me, it's not much fun to deal with a peckish flock no matter how pretty they look. The best thing about the d'uccles is their personality, fluffy chins and feet, in my opinion. If you breed and sell them as pets, you want personality to be their best feature. Stick to the standard as much as you can. The porcelain boys tend to have problems with their shoulder feathers breaking off (not all of them, just some). Someone else can explain the whole genetic thing with that.

Back
Top Bottom