D'uccle Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Nov 21, 2009.

1. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:Well, you gotta start somewhere [​IMG]. Thanks for sharing pics of your new birds. They look a little droopy/sad and out of condition. I've never seen a d'uccle with a floppy comb? They will need some TLC from you but it's hard to tell from pictures. Hopefully they do well, congrats on your new additions [​IMG].

P.S. I counted 4 mille fleurs and 2 porcelains, does that make 6 or did you already have one from before?

2. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i already had the one hen. the one that is farthest away. i know they need some work, what do you suggest? give me a little time and i will have them happy again.
    Quote:Well, you gotta start somewhere [​IMG]. Thanks for sharing pics of your new birds. They look a little droopy/sad and out of condition. I've never seen a d'uccle with a floppy comb? They will need some TLC from you but it's hard to tell from pictures. Hopefully they do well, congrats on your new additions [​IMG].

P.S. I counted 4 mille fleurs and 2 porcelains, does that make 6 or did you already have one from before?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i do have 2 other roosters. which i only want one. they all are gentle and nice. i have pics of 2 of them i will get the third i will let you look at them and see what ya'll think. if better pic would help let me know. i like all there personalities but for color and all not shore who to keep and who to sell. my other roo is the one with the floppy comb. i will get a better pic of him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    My daughter got her first at a show this past weekend but please tell me...how do you pronounce the breed name???[​IMG] We have been arguing about it all weekend

5. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    By the way...I have to brag about my daughter who is 11. She inspected the bird from top to bottom, made sure she selected one with amazing foot feathering and eye color, AND even passed on getting any other from the seller because...(I was quite shocked) all her other d'ucclers had snotty noses. She put the bird in a crate, brought it straight home, dusted it and threw it in quarantine where she is insisting the bird stay for the next month. I wish she wouldn't have got the bird at all because of the condition the others were in but she is doing well and no snot yet. BTW my daughter is afraid of chickens. Guess it had to be that special breed to get her chicken love going lol

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:There are different ways people swear its pronounced - its a big arguement with D'uccle breeders.

Some say De- unkle
    some say Du - clay

a french and a belgain natives said its pronounced du-clair (like eclair)

I typically say Du-clay

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    show is still going for the d'uccles please come enter your babies for the show there are different cates for hes roos chicks and mixes then there will be the over all d'uccle i am still working on printable awards (have the partitation award ready to fill out) they will be on photobucket after the overall show. heres the main link the other links can be found under the cate. section in the rules if you have problems getting to the induvidal threads pm me on which one you want to enter and i will send you the link. if after reading the whole thread and you still have a question please post it. thank you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=579268

8. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Great thread, everyone! I have a few pics to upload of my gorgeous Mille Fleur d'Uccle cockerel. He may not be perfect, but his colors are striking! His name is Bilbo (so called because of his feathered feet, resembling the feet of Hobbits in The Lord of the Rings).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think of him! [​IMG]

9. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:To me they look about equal, and when that happens I suggest to just hang on both. They look better than the roo you just bought. I'd sell him off and keep the two you already have.

Make sure your new ones don't have any mites or such on them, I'd put Sevin dust under their wings...maybe buy some VetRx and put it on their legs and face as directed (few drops with warm water I think) and just take care of them like you would your other chickens and they should start looking better. You can even worm them too (a whole 'nother discussion).

I only have a few years in working with chickens so I'm no chicken expert but that's what I'd do. Good luck!!!

Nathan

10. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:Nice [​IMG] Bilbo is a pretty rooster, get him some girls and breed him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by