D'uccle Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Nov 21, 2009.

1. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I still haven't taken any. [​IMG] I will try to get one tomorrow for you and for the d'Uccle show. His daddy is Rob and Kathleen Schultz's "Mr. Slippers" and I wanted something that was similar. Mr. Bojangles seemed like a flamboyant enough name for a fancy rooster! [​IMG]

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:Right now the only Nov show I know I'm doing is in Cocke Co TN, the Something to Crow About show. It's a d'Uccle state meet [​IMG]

Yes, that little girl is very smart, but also sooo pretty. It was hard letting the whites go, but it did make life easier, which is why I'm ready to let go of the goldnecks. I love them, but so will someone else, and I'll have more space for millies and lavenders and black.

With your boy, you will have leaks both ways, so that there will be muffs and beards, but not as nice. There were booted bantams at the TVA fair show this past September. If I can find the owners name I'll let you know. She only had milies, but she sold some and mille x goldneck would be a nice cross, and preserve your BB features. And the white girl wouldn't mind going into the goldneck quad since she lived with them for a while [​IMG]

Good for you---making room for the mille fleurs, can't wait to see your products of this year's breeding.

3. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i could use some more pullets/hens to [​IMG] i have one self blue and some eggs from teddi that i am incubating...late po delivery to grrrr....i'm hoping for pullets more than roos but 2 or 3 wont bother me any more and i will have to sell the roos [​IMG]

4. Gresh

Gresh Songster

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ok! I'll be anticipating it...[​IMG]

5. josh44

josh44 Songster

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Does anyone here have solid blacks and blues?

Please pm me,

Thank you [​IMG]

Josh T.

6. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Quote:I wish I lived closer to you. I have two young self blue hens and no blue rooster!!! I have a lonely white pullet too. Guess it's time for a bit of culling [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm gonna let him breed with the porcilen pullets if i get any pullets lol...sill looking for self blue hens for him though

his comb sometimes flops over and other times stays up hmmm

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Be careful crossing self blue to porcelain. Sometimes you can get a lethal gene switched on that causes the feathers to stop growing and eventually the birds just die. The gene can also be expressed by the feathers just not growing in correctly, especially on the shoulders and wings. My daughter and I learned this the hard way doing a science experiment. It was really pitiful and we had NO idea ahead of time. I've since done more reading on it and 'talked' online with other breeders that experienced the same thing.

Put your selfblue over mf instead, get black birds with leakage/lacing. Then breed the pullets back to the self-blue again and you'll slowly build your self-blue population and maybe breed down the comb as well.

9. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I have some solid blacks, but I put all the pullets in with my self-blue roo. When you say blue, do mean blue or self-blue?
    Blue is rare. I've only seen it ONCE in a d'Uccle that wasn't a mottled d'Uccle.

If I could get a blue roo I'd be a happy camper....

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:They are still soooo young! I may get slammed at Crossraods because they're so young. I cleaned house last year to make room for the TX flock. The girls now are TX by TN lol. The TX birds definitely brought a lot more white into them!

I'll get pictures when I go to Crossroads. Or while I'm deciding who goes, maybe? [​IMG]

I have a new mf roo that's outside blood. I'll put him over the youngsters for this year and then rotate back to TN's kid. He'll be at Crossroads, too. Good feet and coloring, but I wish his beard were fuller. But the girls are nicely bearded so I should get some pretty babes.

I wish you could meet TN's son BoBo. He is a CHARACTER! He choked on something one day, and got moved from the bachelor pen to an inside pen. He loved it! So when he was clearly okay, and went back to the bachelor pen, he started limping 2 days later. Back to the inside pen, where he was clearly okay in less than 24 hours. After that he went in with the 'retired' hens and has been healthy as can be ever since. But he still talks to me and dances for me when he sees me in the yard. He is a smart, spoiled brat.
    I am trying to act like I don't care about him, because bad things happen to favorites, you know?

I have one split boy left from my lavender improvement project. He's 3rd gen, with some blue and some red lacing. I was hoping the blue was enough to throw blue babes, but no such luck. He is a character too, and threw some uniquely colored babes when crossed back to the remaining 3rd gen split pullets. Hope I can sell some birds so I can watch his babes grow out for a while <sigh>

If I could win the lottery, I could spend the rest of my life happily crossing birds and charting the results!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by