D'uccle Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Nov 21, 2009.

1. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They are still soooo young! I may get slammed at Crossraods because they're so young. I cleaned house last year to make room for the TX flock. The girls now are TX by TN lol. The TX birds definitely brought a lot more white into them!

I'll get pictures when I go to Crossroads. Or while I'm deciding who goes, maybe? [​IMG]

I have a new mf roo that's outside blood. I'll put him over the youngsters for this year and then rotate back to TN's kid. He'll be at Crossroads, too. Good feet and coloring, but I wish his beard were fuller. But the girls are nicely bearded so I should get some pretty babes.

I wish you could meet TN's son BoBo. He is a CHARACTER! He choked on something one day, and got moved from the bachelor pen to an inside pen. He loved it! So when he was clearly okay, and went back to the bachelor pen, he started limping 2 days later. Back to the inside pen, where he was clearly okay in less than 24 hours. After that he went in with the 'retired' hens and has been healthy as can be ever since. But he still talks to me and dances for me when he sees me in the yard. He is a smart, spoiled brat.
    I am trying to act like I don't care about him, because bad things happen to favorites, you know?

I have one split boy left from my lavender improvement project. He's 3rd gen, with some blue and some red lacing. I was hoping the blue was enough to throw blue babes, but no such luck. He is a character too, and threw some uniquely colored babes when crossed back to the remaining 3rd gen split pullets. Hope I can sell some birds so I can watch his babes grow out for a while <sigh>

If I could win the lottery, I could spend the rest of my life happily crossing birds and charting the results!

Yes, I would love to do the same or take on some 'chicken investors' who could support my hobby for free advertising or promotional stuff.
    Maybe we need to hit the Purina websites or grant websites to promote the study of chicken genetics for the backyard breeders.

Personally, I'd like to know why my flock's little toe just seems too little, and why they are sometimes missing claws on it. I remember someone saying that feather footed birds tend to have trouble with a 'clawless' gene.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:They are still soooo young! I may get slammed at Crossraods because they're so young. I cleaned house last year to make room for the TX flock. The girls now are TX by TN lol. The TX birds definitely brought a lot more white into them!

I'll get pictures when I go to Crossroads. Or while I'm deciding who goes, maybe? [​IMG]

I have a new mf roo that's outside blood. I'll put him over the youngsters for this year and then rotate back to TN's kid. He'll be at Crossroads, too. Good feet and coloring, but I wish his beard were fuller. But the girls are nicely bearded so I should get some pretty babes.

I wish you could meet TN's son BoBo. He is a CHARACTER! He choked on something one day, and got moved from the bachelor pen to an inside pen. He loved it! So when he was clearly okay, and went back to the bachelor pen, he started limping 2 days later. Back to the inside pen, where he was clearly okay in less than 24 hours. After that he went in with the 'retired' hens and has been healthy as can be ever since. But he still talks to me and dances for me when he sees me in the yard. He is a smart, spoiled brat.
    I am trying to act like I don't care about him, because bad things happen to favorites, you know?

I have one split boy left from my lavender improvement project. He's 3rd gen, with some blue and some red lacing. I was hoping the blue was enough to throw blue babes, but no such luck. He is a character too, and threw some uniquely colored babes when crossed back to the remaining 3rd gen split pullets. Hope I can sell some birds so I can watch his babes grow out for a while <sigh>

If I could win the lottery, I could spend the rest of my life happily crossing birds and charting the results!

Yes, I would love to do the same or take on some 'chicken investors' who could support my hobby for free advertising or promotional stuff.
    Maybe we need to hit the Purina websites or grant websites to promote the study of chicken genetics for the backyard breeders.

Personally, I'd like to know why my flock's little toe just seems too little, and why they are sometimes missing claws on it. I remember someone saying that feather footed birds tend to have trouble with a 'clawless' gene.

Yes they do and it is critical to never breed two birds together that share this problem. You can breed the problem out of your flock, but ONLY if you pay very close attention to it and choose your matings carefully to eliminate it.

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:Ok! I'll be anticipating it...[​IMG]

It is not a great picture-it was raining here all day yesterday so I brought him in the house to get a picture, and he was a little nervous about it. He is 5 months old.
    [​IMG]

4. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina

It is not a great picture-it was raining here all day yesterday so I brought him in the house to get a picture, and he was a little nervous about it. He is 5 months old.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/23598_mr_bojangles_009.jpg

Oh my gosh! Mr. Bojangles looks exactly like Bilbo did at five months old! Beautiful cockerel! [​IMG]

5. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    hey thanks for the help with my new d'uccles getting them looking better. they seem to be a little happier it seems. i have a question about feed. i have have a few bantams that were getting food stuck in there crop. so i am in the prosses for switching to a crumble feed, from scratch which i feed my standard chickens, guineas, call ducks, emus, and peafowl. but what % should i use for bantams? some of the stores said 20% or more for laying and other said 20 is to much 16% should be good for small to med. bantams. so what what is the best? im still learning about poultry so bear with me on all the questions. but i want my flock to me happy and full of life and colorful. thanks again for all the help.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i still use chick grower as i have some chicks in the pen but i mix in a little bit of ground corn and scratch i havent had a problem with it if i do i have a grounder that i can use to make it smaller for them

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:Be careful crossing self blue to porcelain. Sometimes you can get a lethal gene switched on that causes the feathers to stop growing and eventually the birds just die. The gene can also be expressed by the feathers just not growing in correctly, especially on the shoulders and wings. My daughter and I learned this the hard way doing a science experiment. It was really pitiful and we had NO idea ahead of time. I've since done more reading on it and 'talked' online with other breeders that experienced the same thing.

Put your selfblue over mf instead, get black birds with leakage/lacing. Then breed the pullets back to the self-blue again and you'll slowly build your self-blue population and maybe breed down the comb as well.

ok i will put him with the millis instead. thanks for the info [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:Be careful crossing self blue to porcelain. Sometimes you can get a lethal gene switched on that causes the feathers to stop growing and eventually the birds just die. The gene can also be expressed by the feathers just not growing in correctly, especially on the shoulders and wings. My daughter and I learned this the hard way doing a science experiment. It was really pitiful and we had NO idea ahead of time. I've since done more reading on it and 'talked' online with other breeders that experienced the same thing.

Put your selfblue over mf instead, get black birds with leakage/lacing. Then breed the pullets back to the self-blue again and you'll slowly build your self-blue population and maybe breed down the comb as well.

what colors do you have?

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles &amp; Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN

what colors do you have?

I am keeping 2 pens of mille fleur, a pen of black, and pen of self blue. My self blues are all very young due to breeding some improvements to them over the past year +.

I did have whites but I sold them this summer, and I have a quad of goldnecks but am selling them to keep another pen of mf. I live in a subdivision, so I have as many pens as I'm going to get [​IMG]

10. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/23598_mr_bojangles_009.jpg

Looks like your young roo has potential! Can't wait to see him after his next molt. The roos seem to get better with each molt. The hens...some look better, others show their true genetics with age. That's what I've experienced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by