D'uccle Thread

Quote:
I'm actually selling all my d'uccles, or atleast going to try. if you like her, are you going to Morganton Saturday? If so I plan to bring her and her hubby
wink.png

I was going to go and I had thought to ask you about them as I am very interested but now it looks like rain will hamper my going. I have a bunch to sell and I can only go if I take my 10 pairs of Cochins and about 25 Guinea keets to sell. It is 1 1/2 hours up there and i won;t take my birds out on the road in rain.
Why can't it be pretty like last Sat???

However, I am very interested and wish you lived closer!

LOL it will take me 3 hours to get there, but I will be going by car and the birds will be in the car with me, so no worries on my end.

So sorry about the bad weather, I hate it, but I have been looking forward to this show for a couple months and it will be my first to go to, so I'm going to rough it.

Do you ever get frustrated when you can't "word" something just right to find the answer on Google??! I can think of no better people to ask. I've learned so much here already, which is what gave me the push I needed to purchase some d'Uccle hatching eggs, and later to order day-olds.

This is probably the stupidest question on the block, but I honestly cannot find an answer.
hide.gif

I received my day-olds today, and I'd ordered a variety of d'Uccles: a few MF, some Porcelain, some Blue, and some White.

The white chicks are STUNNING ... however I also have YELLOW chicks. Hmmm ...

A few years back, I had white leghorns that started from yellow fuzzy chicks. Are d'Uccles the same way? Will the yellows turn white, too? And, if so, these chicks were all (supposedly) hatched on the 25th of October ... all are very tiny and very "just a few days old"-ish. Why would some be white already but some yellow?

Sorry, I really feel like a fool for asking. I must not be wording my question right because I can't find this information anywhere, and surely I can't be the first person to have wondered?! Thank you for any info ... or a swift, kick in the butt to point me in the right direction!

Chick down is not a guarantee of adult color. So just take pics and enjoy the babies!!

I've had some yellow chicks that ended up white, some that were a pale porcelain, but most were a color called goldneck.

Thank you, wegotchickens! I'm one of those math people that always thinks everything should be according to some sort of formula ... good to get advice sometimes that just says "relax and enjoy while you can."
smile.png

I'm so happy with these little guys and gals. I did so much breed research before committing, and so far I'm incredibly happy with how everything is going. I'm glad I don't have to be just a lurker anymore!
smile.png

Quote:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Millies/BRKMilleFleur.html#MFChik

I know nothing much about d'Uccle chicks. I have only hatched twice this year and this is my first year with this breed. Wegotchickens knows much more about this breed than I probably ever will.
In my experience with other breeds though the yellows are usually white when grown and the whites may be a pale blue or possibly porcelain. The MF should be a gold/brown color with stripes on the back but not always as it all depends on the parent stock.

I can't wait to see photos of your chicks! Please share them with us!

Here is a Porcelain d'Uccle I hatched out last week from Teddi's eggs.

9332_poce_duccles10-11.jpg

Some may look a bit yellow in a certain light though.

9332_1_wk_old_duccles_10-11.jpg

Please fill our screens with your adorable babies. We want to see, we want to see!

Always glad to help!!!

So, today at Crossroads my millies did really badly. I am bummed but there was amazing competition!! I did buy a new roo that will balance some issues and is from WI, so no relation to my current stock. Fresh blood is always good!!

My black d'Uccles, though, beat birds that someone else has been breeding for years! The owner was not amused but I was soooo tickled!! It means I won 2 of the antique treasures of trophies that were willed back to the club by the club founder! I'll post pictures in a little while. I am immensely happy, since I wanted to win at least 1 trophy, but sad for my poor milles. I will take them home and keep working on them
wink.png

The trophies are walnut with a cast metal d'Uccle at the top. Very aged, and people kept trying to buy them while the birds were being judged. So I won 2 classics....

We also had a club meeting. I found it interesting and informative. To keep the club alive more will have to be done, though. I volunteered, and will need some assistance from anyone who has time. First & foremost, we need to be showing our birds!!!
And if you're serious about breeding d'Uccle or Booted Bantams, please show them as well as join the club.

In order to help keep things rolling, I offered to help any way I could. My first goal is to see what we can to update the website. I know enough to be dangerous lol. I'm going to meet with Karl and talk to him about that. He is the current club president, and has been for a long time. He told me tonight that I would make a good club president, but I'd rather work my way up than jump to the head of the line.

BTW! Karl is planning to attend the Cocke County Poultry Show in TN on 11/12/11. It is a d'Uccle state meet, so points are available for club members. Come out and support our favorite bird! PLEASE!!!

Quote:
Wow, can't believe your millies didn't place! But that's really neat about the antique trophies, way to go
smile.png
. I would LOVE to show birds and attend those meets up there, but since I'm in FL that's just not possible at this time. I really hope they get things rolling with that club, site updated, etc. I'll do my part in showing at State Fair in a few months.

Wegotchickens: Any idea who the state rep is for North Carolina? I'd like to be able to have someone local to discuss things with or get breeder information from. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom