D'uccle Thread

In case you're referring to the pictures I posted, they are "old ladies". They're at least 2 years old. All of those pictures are of 2+ year old chickens. Does that make a difference?
Thanks!
It does. Mille fleur tend to get more and more white as they age. It is still too much white, but I'll bet the whitest one was a good-looking pullet!

Just here to say hello ! Been busy with shows, hatching about a million chicks and work. Took 7 d'uccles to a show last weekend. Got 4 class wins (mille fleur hen, black mottle pullet, black mottle rooster, self blue pullet) , 2 best of varieties (black mottle pullet, self blue pullet) and one reserve best of variety (black mottle rooster). I bought a pair of gold necks-the pullet is show quality and the cockerel would be except for some black in some of his tail feathers. Showing again in a week. Taking the mille hen, self blue pullet and black mottle pullet plus some old english game bantams and one call duck. The silver mille, Pearl, is doing well. Just waiting for her to grow up and start laying !

Just here to say hello ! Been busy with shows, hatching about a million chicks and work. Took 7 d'uccles to a show last weekend. Got 4 class wins (mille fleur hen, black mottle pullet, black mottle rooster, self blue pullet) , 2 best of varieties (black mottle pullet, self blue pullet) and one reserve best of variety (black mottle rooster). I bought a pair of gold necks-the pullet is show quality and the cockerel would be except for some black in some of his tail feathers. Showing again in a week. Taking the mille hen, self blue pullet and black mottle pullet plus some old english game bantams and one call duck. The silver mille, Pearl, is doing well. Just waiting for her to grow up and start laying !
Show the goldneck roo, too. Some black leakage in the tail isn't a terrible thing unless there's a LOT of it.

Does anyone know any easy watts to find out what gender a D'uccle chick is? I don't know if there is a few way s to tell with specific breeds.
I can usually tell by the end of week one by their combs have not been work yet, but that doesn't mean that one girl with a large comb will not trick me.
Quote: Then by all means get some babies
thumbsup.gif

I heard some feather sex at only a few days old. I think the females have primaries that come in two waves, while the boys have them come in all at once.

Or it could be the other way around....

Thanks for my roos compliments.  I usually don't name any of them, unless I have to nurse them or they have something special about them. Other than that, they are all "little man" and "mama".

that only works for chickens that are specially bred for it but its good of you to mention it as its not the most recognized way to sex them

Here are a few pics of my Golden Neck boys. Are they show quality or pet quality? We had one in the local 4H show and he got DQ'ed because the judge said Golden Necks were not a recognized color. I tried to discuss it with him but he insisted it wasn't recognized. I was hoping to learn something from that too...darn.

Side by side...like they wanted to be told who was prettier!

Strutting their stuff

More profile views.

Here are a few pics of my Golden Neck boys. Are they show quality or pet quality? We had one in the local 4H show and he got DQ'ed because the judge said Golden Necks were not a recognized color. I tried to discuss it with him but he insisted it wasn't recognized. I was hoping to learn something from that too...darn.

Side by side...like they wanted to be told who was prettier!

Strutting their stuff

More profile views.
It makes you wonder why they hire judges who don't know what they are doing. I would be furious if I were you. And also, why is a judge DQing animals in 4-H? Whether you are showing chickens, rabbits, goats, etc, judges aren't supposed to DQ animals unless they are sickly or injured, not because they are the wrong color.

I would be furious as well! He obviously does not know his standard. Below is some info I got from the D'uccle club website (I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about
lol.png
) http://www.belgianduccle.org/page8.html

This is how the d'Uccles were entered into the APA Standard of Perfection by year:
1914 Mille Fleur
1981 White
1965 Porcelain
1996 Black
1996 Golden Neck
1996 Self Blue
1996 Mottled

Back
Top Bottom