D'uccle Thread

Quote:
Wow! Beautiful!! Interesting colors. I'm less worried about the toes than the beard on the 'slamon' baby. If I had to put him into a d'Uccle categary I'd say goldneck. Definite lacing going on, and is that bluish 'smut' in his tail or just shadow? He's so young that I think upon maturity you'll be thinking goldneck, as the colors get more defined and 'pushed' into position? That's my guess anyway.

The calico boy? No guesses on that one. His color is very striking but it looks like his comb is way out there! Love the feet, though. He's another one that needs significant maturity before you can classify him. And unfortunately, both may need to molt before you really know how these 'changlings' are going to look!

Are you going to IN at the end of October? It would be funny if you entered some of these unusual colors just to see what kind of feedback you got. I've been contemplating it with my little quail girl.

Quote:
Thanks hun. This year has by far been the most 'colorful', BUT has also produced a lot better birds in type, quality and feet.
Funny you mention showing, I'd actually like to enter a few birds and see what the 'feedback' would be. Interesting, yes
big_smile.png

The little laced boy does have a bit more 'poof' to his beard than what pic shows, but is still thin IMO, time will tell. Yes, he has bluish or lavender in tail.
I looked at my notes and the blue 'calico' boy is almost 5, so his crest would be bigger, but does need work. Nothing perfect around here, lol.
I plan to take new pics tomorrow so maybe I can get some better shots/poses, ect. to post.

I keep meaning to post some pics of my black pullets and lav quad. The pullets are looking mostly pretty good, worst thing being a touch thin on a couple of middle toes for the blacks. The lavs ladies are all quite nice, but the silly cockeral hasn't got much of a tail yet. Still going to show them on Saturday and get them used to the process.

Of the mille fleur cockerals, I'm starting to not like the tail set of my favorite boy
sad.png

It's not true wry tail, I don't think, because he can hold it straight when he wants to. But he tends to carry it to one side when foraging or posturing with the other boys. Not cool, since that's the pose the judges look for. So #2 may now be #1? We'll see.

Can't wait to see more pics of your colorful 'kids' Misty!

Genetics experts:
I have a lone Blue Mille Fleur cockerel. No pullets from the hatch. If I mated him with a black bantam cochin, would the chicks be a mix of both, or would they "carry" the MF gene...any ideas? Trying to figure out if he is worth keeping around.

Quote:
They're cute, did you get them from a hatchery is that why you don't know their color? I've never seen gold-necked babies but the first group looks like the porcelain babies I had, but I'm guessing they could also be lavenders as well. Hope they turn out decent looking for you. They're all cute when they're that young lol.

Quote:
They're cute, did you get them from a hatchery is that why you don't know their color? I've never seen gold-necked babies but the first group looks like the porcelain babies I had, but I'm guessing they could also be lavenders as well. Hope they turn out decent looking for you. They're all cute when they're that young lol.

They came from Ideal Poultry, I got an assortment of chicks and having fun trying to figure them all out! Thanks for the help, I was really hoping they were porcelain, they are sooo pretty
love.gif

A young D'uccle roo taking care of 4 chicks...Then 8 tried to fit under him...They lifted him up.
They are great birds.
I have about 15 Regular Mille Fleur and I have 25 Blue Mille Fleur D'uccle chicks....I can't wait for them to grow
love.gif

85087_113_1464.jpg

85087_113_1475.jpg

I just love the way the d'Uccles show so much personality for the camera. You can just see sweet all in their faces. I just wish they didn't hate for me to kiss all over them every morning and night when I take them outside and put them back up at night. You can just hear them saying "Mom! That is so not cool!" But I love them! Gotta get more photos to share.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom