D'uccle Thread

I got this girl in april, not sure on age but she was fully feathered. Still isnt at the age of laying either. What do you think? Show quality or not? Please give your reasons also, so I can learn. Shes not super calm so she wasnt standing still very much with me in the cage.
Thanks Lisa

Where'd you get her?
My dad and his wife rescued her from a family that bought her and 4 others as easter chicks. The kids squeezed one to death and we got her and 2 oegb not sure what happend to the other chick. They had been feeding then nothing but oats. My dad doesnt care for fancy chickens or bantams so we took them. I have no idea where the family got them from. But this pullet has nicer feet feathers and a nicer beard than my mille from someone who was breeding them for 4-H.

http://belgianduccle.hypermart.net/dUccle1page.html

Color of Female:

Head: Rich golden buff, each feather marked with a V-shaped bar of black near end of
feather, end of feather tipped with a V-shaped pure white spangle.
Neck Hackle – Rich golden buff, each feather marked with a V-shaped bar of black
near end of feather, end of feather tipped with a diamond-shaped pure white
spangle. Front of Neck- same as breast.
Back & Cushion: Rich golden buff, each feather marked with a V-shaped bar of black near
end of feather, end of feather tipped with a V-shaped pure white spangle.
Tail: Main Tail – dull black, tipped with pure white, top two feathers with some buff on
upper web. Coverts – same as back.
Wings: Shoulders, Fronts & bows – same as back.
Coverts – same as back except that the V – shaped spangled are larger and more
pronounced. the whole forming two distinct bars across wings. Primaries- inner
webs black; outer webs black, edged with bay. Secondaries – outer webs golden
buff extending nearly to end of feather: inner webs dull black, extending nearly
to end of feather and broadening out into outer webs nearly to end of feather,
where it joins spangle at tip, the whole forming a spangled effect at the end of the
Secondaries, when wing is folded and held in its natural position.
Breast: Same as Back
Body & Stern: Body – same as breast, Stern – fluff, slaty buff, tipped with white.
Lower thighs: Same as Breast
Undercolor Medium Slate, shading to pale salmon at base, in all sections.

shape

COMB: Single - proportionately smaller than that of the male, set firmly and evenly on Head, moderately and evenly serrated, having five regular
and distinct points, slightly Arched, front not to extend beyond point half way between nostrils and point of beak, Extending back over
head.
BEAK : Short, nicely curved.
FACE: Fine quality, free from wrinkles or folds, partially hidden with long muff.
BROW: Heavily furnished with feathers.
EYES: Bold, round, conspicuous.
WATTLES: Rudimentary only, but preferably none.
EAR LOBES: Very small, inconspicuous, no wrinkles or folds, hidden by muff.
BEARD & MUFFS: Composed of feathers turned horizontally backwards from both sides of beak, from the center, vertically downwards, the whole forming
a collar of three Ovals in a triangular group, giving a muffed effect.
HEAD: Small, but appearing rather broad due to heavy feathering, carried well back, above a parallel line which when drawn from tip of tail
with bisect muffs.
NECK: Medium length convexly arched.
HACKLE: Heavily feathered, covering shoulders and upper back, not meeting in front of neck.
BACK: Moderately broad, short, slanting from shoulders to base of tail with the whole producing an up-shaped curve with neck and tail.
CUSHION: Abundant, feathers broad.
TAIL: Main tail - feathers medium width, top feathers slightly curved in a convex manner, widely spread at all times, carried at an angle
of 60° above the horizontal Coverts - Abundant, widening as they flow to about two thirds the ways up the tail.
WINGS: Medium length, fitting neatly to the body, sloping downward at the same angle as the vulture hocks, in-curved toward the abdomen.
Shoulders & Fronts – Nearly Covered with hackle feathers. Bows - well rounded. Coverts - well defined with two rows of
broad feathers. Primaries - medium width, strong quills, completely hidden by Secondaries. Secondaries - wide, forming a
neatly and evenly overlapping appearance when wing is folded.
BREAST: Very broad, deep, upper part well developed and carried well forward. BODY & STERN: Body - deep, short, and stubby.
Stern - fluff, short.
LEGS, TOES & Thighs well developed, medium length, feathers starting from lower inside part of thighs, forming a cluster of long stiff feathers close
together known as vulture hocks, inclined toward the ground, following o0utline of wings. Shanks - medium length, the front
and outside covered with feathers which are short at top and gradually increasing in length toward the bottom, stiff and turning
horizontally outward, their ends curving backward. Toes - four, straight, well and evenly spread; plumage, outside toe and
outside of middle toe covered in same manner as shanks stately.

Back
Top Bottom