• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I am hoping to hatch some bantams in a few months. I held a poll (click here to see it), and narrowed it down to 2 bantams...but I still don't know what breed is more suited for my flock- Seramas or D'uccles?

Seramas have been my dream chicken for a while but I've been doing some research about them and decided they probably won't be the best chicken to hatch in a small group of 2-3 eggs.
Some of them have some kind of gene where their legs are too short to hatch and they end up dying- I don't really want to be stressed about that. A few of my silkies (my silkies aren't bantams) are quite bossy and I don't think it will be fair of the tiny seramas. Also, the UK is very cold and I read that seramas are delicate. So I don't think they are the best chickens to hatch in a small group.
I've also checked Ebay and eggs are only being sold in groups of 6+ which I can't do

I've been reading about d'uccles and I think they will be a good match for my polish. I have 1 polish who's definitely a rooster and 1 probable rooster, leaving 1 little polish all alone when I have to rehome the roos. I read that d'uccles are cold hardy (very important in UK).
They are small, beautiful, easy to sex young.
I vhecked ebay gor these and you can get as many eggs as you want... From 2-12
They are small, but similar size to my polish who are fine in the flock. I've read on BYC and Google that d'uccles are very friendly and a bit crazy... (Like me!)

So who fits this criteria better?
  • Cold hardy
  • Fit with standard size silkies and bantam polish
  • Good pets
  • Friendly and cuddly
  • Generally easy stress-free hatching
  • Pretty
  • Easy to find on ebay

D'uccle sounds appropriate for your climate. So is barbu de watermael.

When you do shipped eggs, you won't hatch all of them. It's due to the transport.

My last hatch of gold deathlayer eggs turned out to be zero hatch. Found 10 of them being scrambled in the egg from the rough travel.

Don't worry to much about the amount of eggs to get, half or less usually ends up hatching.

I am hoping to hatch some bantams in a few months. I held a poll (click here to see it), and narrowed it down to 2 bantams...but I still don't know what breed is more suited for my flock- Seramas or D'uccles?

Seramas have been my dream chicken for a while but I've been doing some research about them and decided they probably won't be the best chicken to hatch in a small group of 2-3 eggs.
Some of them have some kind of gene where their legs are too short to hatch and they end up dying- I don't really want to be stressed about that. A few of my silkies (my silkies aren't bantams) are quite bossy and I don't think it will be fair of the tiny seramas. Also, the UK is very cold and I read that seramas are delicate. So I don't think they are the best chickens to hatch in a small group.
I've also checked Ebay and eggs are only being sold in groups of 6+ which I can't do

I've been reading about d'uccles and I think they will be a good match for my polish. I have 1 polish who's definitely a rooster and 1 probable rooster, leaving 1 little polish all alone when I have to rehome the roos. I read that d'uccles are cold hardy (very important in UK).
They are small, beautiful, easy to sex young.
I vhecked ebay gor these and you can get as many eggs as you want... From 2-12
They are small, but similar size to my polish who are fine in the flock. I've read on BYC and Google that d'uccles are very friendly and a bit crazy... (Like me!)

So who fits this criteria better?
  • Cold hardy
  • Fit with standard size silkies and bantam polish
  • Good pets
  • Friendly and cuddly
  • Generally easy stress-free hatching
  • Pretty
  • Easy to find on ebay

I live in a hot climate and seramas do not cope well with cold in winter. not to mention they have a very poor hatch rate and even if they do hatch they die within 3-4 weeks - I don't know why.

d'Uccles, definitely. They're sweet little things.
In case you need some more convincing:
20210904_190441.jpg

Back
Top Bottom