Duchess is "off"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Jul 26, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    1) What type of bird , age and weight: bantam cochin hen, adult, <2 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly: off balance, can't walk around well.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: Just today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: Roo has been really rough

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: layer feed, some scratch, water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? : Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: Bathed her, she was muddy, segregation.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? : Treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: was in a chicken coop with run attached, now segregated in large brooder with pine shavings.

*and she layed an egg this afternoon after symptoms started and it was normal.

"Duchess", my bantam cochin girl, has only been with this rooster for a few days. I shouldn't have left them together in hindsight, because I noticed that he was having a hard time mating with her because she is pretty small, but he isn't too much bigger than her... but the last time I saw them mating yesterday she acted like she was in pain afterwards and didn't immediately get up. I hope that by segregating her she will have time to recuperate...

The only other thing I can think of being the problem is that when I looked in the coop/run after I found her hurt, was a small amount of feed that had been scattered on the ground and it rained yesterday so I saw a little mold...but everyone else in there seems ok? So I removed the feed....if Duchess were poisoned by moldy feed, would she still be so bright eyed and hungry and thirsty? I can't determine which leg is the problem..she just seems really off balance and will fall easily...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by