Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
@HeatherKellyB Quasi is doing fine. Her siblings seem to have accepted her back, and she hangs out with mom and dad a lot. I keep an eye on her eye. It was really dirty looking one day, but looks fine now. There seems to be one spot on the lower side that didnā€™t draw completely up, but I donā€™t foresee any issues. Iā€™m still amazed.
View attachment 2848106View attachment 2848107
Quasi looks amazing! That's just crazy impressive. Is she quacking? It's crazy how fast she's went from a duckling with a serious eye injury to a gorgeous duck. Such an inspirational story šŸ’•

Faith's feathers are taking on that "sun bleached" aka "beach bum" look and the pictures make them look even lighter. You're right, she looks lighter than Margarita, even the new feathers underneath. Hopefully I can get a roof on their run asap. I agree. I LOVE her dark eyes and bill šŸ’• She is still a tiny little peanut. All of her weight is because she's wide <~> Lylah is round ((0)) They're so enjoyable.

Quasi is still not quacking!! šŸ˜  I guess puberty is coming slow to her. When she does make noise, itā€™s a really loud baby peep, not raspy like a drake. Maybe I can get a video later, and yā€™all can weigh in on her.

The ducks have stayed in their pen all day today, even after I opened the gate. We had a hawk attack this morning. I saw it out the window when I was getting coffee. (Thank goodness for coffee!) Watching back on security cam, I donā€™t know how all my yard roosters survived, but they kept the hawk running! It was a young one this time, so somehow he was never able to pin any down.

Quasi is still not quacking!! šŸ˜  I guess puberty is coming slow to her. When she does make noise, itā€™s a really loud baby peep, not raspy like a drake. Maybe I can get a video later, and yā€™all can weigh in on her.

The ducks have stayed in their pen all day today, even after I opened the gate. We had a hawk attack this morning. I saw it out the window when I was getting coffee. (Thank goodness for coffee!) Watching back on security cam, I donā€™t know how all my yard roosters survived, but they kept the hawk running! It was a young one this time, so somehow he was never able to pin any down.
You sound like me with "yard roosters". I love this and it's just one more reason that yall are definitely "my people" šŸ’•

I just remembered I have to catch mine when I get home to re-do their roof on their run. Plus I have to catch a Muscovy drake after work at the university lake. He has a mask wrapped around his leg...
Is the Muscovy drake tame? Poor guy. One of the wild geese here have showed up with a plastic ring around their leg before. It was a piece of trash and I can't believe it didn't come off in flight or during the landing in the pond. Thank God they got it off by themselves because I don't even want to think about having to remove it, because in all honesty, I doubt I'd be able to do it since they're still incredibly good at not being captured, even when they're injured. They know me well and get close enough that I could touch them but I don't. There are two that have severe handicaps and they always expect me to feed them off away from the flock. Geese are so aggressive, at least wild geese in large flocks. This is the most recent handicapped goose. I'm guessing the lake across the road, where they sleep, has snapping turtles. I don't know what else could remove a toe and part of the webbing. This goose eats well but he has A LOT of trouble getting around. You can see how the joint is so swollen. I can hear clicking as he limps around, so maybe he suffered a broken bone as he was trying to get away. It's so sad and this is one more reason I will be keeping my Calls locked up until I clip wings. It's a short trip to a few lakes full of fishing line and obviously snapping turtles. I can't imagine how bad that would be for a Call
20210925_152513.jpg

Back
Top Bottom